Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cuda

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cuda

I landed this barracuda last night off River Heads on a prawn.He looked about 1.3-1.4m in the water, but i wasnt keen on getting him in the boat for a trophy pic. Ive heard people can end up with a few stiches after tangling with em. After an awesone fight, he was pretty spent tho. I cut the line and let him go. What do you reckon, am I a wuss, or should anything with more teeth than me stay in the water?

cheers
    Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah - that was a good call Andrew. Minimise the danger, I say!

I hooked a black trevally (happy moment) on a bream lure at Green Island on Sunday morning. I squealed like a girl when it came aboard and while I was trying to get the treble out of its gob with my super long barra pliers!

I almost collapsed with relief when it flicked back into the deep blue...

Keep away with anything that has many teeth or poisonous spines...
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good call giving it the quick chop as you wanted to release it alive. I've seen a blokes fingers end up pretty messed up unhooking about a 12" model in an estuary jetty when I was younger.
    I stopped keeping them for baits at around that same time.

Would have made a nice trophy photo, but you'd want it to have a spike in the brain first - especially at night.

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

thrashing fish with teeth + boat = bye bye toes.... Good call I say specially if your solo.

Sailfish
    Post Thanks / Like

A decision well made I reckoned. I rather lose a hook than a finger.. or toe.

That is a good size fish though and Im sure he gave you a heck of a fight too.
    I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself...

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Yer wise choice. They dont react that well to handling anyhow mate, so you probably did the right thing by it as well.
    Steve
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I agree as well. Big thrashing cudas and sharks are best left outside of boats. Have seen the results of mixing an angry cuda and fingers.

I reckon save ya fingers for mackeral, jacks and other more tasty toothy critters!

Cheers,
    Roo.

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Cuda make a nice pic in the daytime hours Andrew....Like you said they have a nice set of teeth which make a nice head shot.

Trouble is they absolutely STINK..!!....and you wear the smell or day.

Pete

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Good, sounds like I did the right thing then. Yes, I was solo, a couple of tourists were standing on the Kingfisher Jetty asking was I gonna try and boat it, and I wasnt keen.

I thought I was pretty brave doin the 45 min trip from River Heads to Kingfisher solo in the dark, only a week after a guy drowned in dark doin the same trip with a mate. Im brave, but I dont boat sharks, pike eels, catfish, vermin, or rays, and now Ive added cuda to the list.

cheers
    Andrew

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice going Andrew

I'm quite keen on trying out the area, but not too keen on going solo.. If you ever want to convoy it out (safety in numbers and I'm only in a 12' with a 15hp) please let me know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast