Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Freshwater Flathead???

Hi all,

First post on here so here goes

With the crap weather we have had here on the "Sunshine" Coast I haven't been able to get out all week despite being on holidays.

Weather report spoke of 10 - 15 knot winds, more 20 - 25 when I got out there !!

So up at 2:30am paddling out on the yak at 3am. Had plans of hitting some new ground but due to the wind thought I would stick to waters I knew. I had bought some 6lb Nanofil and was itching to try it out. Had on 9lb flourocarbon leader and 1/8th oz jighead. Tried Gulps, Zmans, Squidies all for not a touch. As it was windy and dark I persisted thinking when it gets light I will tie on the hard body I had been having some success with. Around 5:30am the sun was up and the wind had backed off closer to the predicted 10-15 knots. On went the HB and and I started casting. Wasn't long before I was whacked well and truly! Felt like I had some good weight on this one and she used the current to peel some line off my drag.. Got her head turned and had her headed back to me, then she saw me and turned again. As her flanks briefly came into view I could have sworn I had her foul hooked and I thought "Hmmmm, not as big as you first thought". Kept the pressure on thinking she was fould hooked and to go real easy, she can't wear throught the leader as it isn't in her gob. Anyway, played her in and as her big beautilful head came out of the water I saw she wasn't foul hooked at all and she was a good fish!!

So got her in and put her on the Yak. Threw the tape on her and she went 66cms. I had some fish still in the freezer and thought, she can go out and breed some more so after a quick photo op she went on her way. (Scuse the pic quality, GoPro doesn't like low light)

Continued to fish and about 3 casts later hooked up again to something of reasonable weight but a headshake saw the hooks let go

Cast around for not another touch. Experience in this spot tells me once sun is truly up you can head off so thats what I did! Cleaned my gear up, wrote this report. Gonna go have a game of lawn bowls with the old man, few ales and get to bed early as I may well go again tomorrow (Weather permitting)

Cheers
    Funchy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Doing well to catch anything after all the rain, and yeah, it would be pretty close to fresh water!

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report mate,and a really nice fish in some crappy conditions. The flatties musnt mind a bit of fresh,and the boys got a couple chasing barra in the comp up here and it was dirty and fresh as. And you got out fishing...more than ill be doing this weekend..
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice first post and good read. That's a good flattie.Have caught quiet a few flatties in the brackish to freshwater chasing bass and ep's. the amount of bait up in most freshwater reaches of most estuaries is a eyeopener and no wonder the flatties and other preadators move up there to feed.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work in the conditions Funchy. Great sized flatty to land on a yak mate.
    Steve
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work,up at 2.30am,you deserved a fish for sure.Goes to show if you put in the effort theres a good chance you'll get a result.Nice Flattie in trying conditions.
    Paulo
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work, we get the odd flatty up at my local, if you Google map colleges crossing near Ipswich it is well up stream. Tastes very fresh so they must like it!
    Ben..

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report mate
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report mate & getting up that early you certainly deserved something,Well done..

Baz

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice lizard mate and a great report for ya first at it crack too!

Cheers,
    Roo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast