Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Handy bit of bi catch

Up at 2am and off to try get a Jewy or two after having so much fun last week. Paddled the yak out and was anchored up and fishing by half past. After last weeks epic runs and frayed nerves I thought I would up the insurance factor. Upgraded to the heavier 7ft rod, 10lb braid and 15lb leader. There was no where near the same surface action as last week. It was bottom of the tide and hardly a prawn jumping. Kept flicking around for no touches so at about 4am I paddled back to the car and swapped back to ol' reliable 6lb braid and 9lb leader. Paddled back, anchored up and cast out. By this time the tide had turned and was running in. Still not a lot of action, the odd bump and nibble but nothing substantial. I swapped over from 4inch Gulp minnow to 3 inch and had immediate success. My first every estuary cod. . Pretty fish and they fight well too for their size. He went back.

Kept casting back in and scored another little cod (wouldn't be suprised if it was the same one) Then at around 5:15 as a glow started to appear on the horizon I got hit by something solid with reasonable weight. After a short fight I had a 54cm flatty to the yak. I have lifted heaps of these into the yak before so grabbed the leader and in he came. As I layed him down he spat the hook and went ballistic!!! Next thing his head is right between my legs millimetres from the crown jewels......... I didnt move and nor did he......... stalemate for a minute or two while I thought what to do? Lipgrips are here I know I put em in this time..... uh oh.... flatty is on top of them.... very gently I tried to push him away from me then bugger me if he didn't go off his nut again.... I wasn't losing this one so with adrenalin pumping I grabbed him and got his barbs for good measure. Got the lipgrips on him, into my keeper bag and its all good

Cast back in and caught that same bluddy cod a couple more times. Had promised the missus to be home by 6:30 so paddled off with dinner in the bag.

Got a big day lined up tomorrow so will try and have a nanna nap a bit later!!

Happy Easter everyone!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

well done funchy
    whats the water quality like there at the moment
    shane

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work mate! Love the flatties
    Ben..

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robersl View Post
    well done funchy
    whats the water quality like there at the moment
    shane
    It is still a bit murky mate but clearing up. I tasted the water at the bottom of the tide and it was reasonably salty. Alot of traffic up here in the passage at the moment but will head out again tomorrow

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't complain with by catch like that. Well done

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Good fish there mate, well done
    Fishing Fishing Fishing. I like Fishing

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

The cod have a good little initial hit most the time. There a good little bycatch to waken you up on your reactions. Sounds like your fishing PW? Have you explored down around the weir? I usually hear of a few good reports from around there.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice way to start the day mate..love it..
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done Funchy,beautiful time of the day.Good result.
    Paulo
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Definatly a keen man getting up that early mate but well worth the effort, nice Flatty..

Baz