Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Beacons Bonanza

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Beacons Bonanza

Was paddling by 2:45am. Was a fair southerly blowing and I was undecided about where to head and thought about heading up into Bells Creek but thought I will drift over the weed beds for a while. I rigged up with a 5inch Minnow looking thing from my USA arsenal that I hadn't tried before. Set up for a drift over the weed beds and away I went. It took a while learning how to use this SP completely weightless and I spent the 1st 45mins on the old learning curve before I thought bugger it time for a change. The tide was running out at a fair clip and was half way out I reckon. I had drifted close to my old favourite spot (the last green beacon coming out of Bells. Threw out the pick and thought what should I do? Wind was a bummer so didnt want to paddle too far a get caught out with change of tide due at 7ish. Settled on 1/4oz jighead and the new squidgy thingy I bought the day before. Not sure what they are called but was a 4inch long paddled tailed looking thing with a caramel coloured back and white belly. Basted it with a little S factor a threw it out. FIRST CAST!!! BOOOOM!!!! Hahahahhahahaaaaa.... These things work!!! Line peeling off, thumping head shakes, nice bit of weight wooooohooooo!!!! Now I hooked this thing pretty close to the beacon and it was taking off for Bribie and I knew he was past the pylon. I was packin death that it would rub me off so I tightened the drag a little and slowed him the the zzzzz'ing stopped and had him turned. Managed to do some fancy footwork over the sandbanks to make sure I had him heading in the right direction away from the beacon. A couple more runs from him and more thumps of the head and I had this thing at my feet. Grabbed the net, scooped him up, fist pump and a yeehaaaa and I grabbed my lipgrips and detangled him from then net for a look at him.

60cm Jewwy!!! Excuse the pics, it was 4amish and GoPro dont like low light!! Also I dont carry the brag mat on the yak so sorry about that too. Great fun on 6lb gear!! Revived him after a few pics and watched him swim away. Unreal fun !!. Proceeded to cast back in the same area for the next hour and fifteen minutes for not a touch! Didn't care, was still riding high on the Jewy!

Decided to head back over the weed beds as the sun came up. The next couple of hours was spent throwing SP's. I got one on the USA SP totally unweighted in about 40cm of water. He wasn't real big. The pic below shows the SP is nearly as big as he was. I then switched to a Gulp 3inch Grub paddle tail in water melon and caught 8 more flatties. 2 of which I kept for the girls! Headed in about 10:45 feeling pretty ok with the world!!

Back to the grind tomorrow

But the weekend is coming
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Gezz, I have a donut trip and the motivation sinks, then I read AA and I can't wait to get out there again. Thanks Funchy.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet. Jewies are great fun in shallow water.
    Red

Fish Well, Fish Egrell

Red@redmandesigns.com.au

FishLife Magazine - best mag around
    Red@fishlife.tv

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish Funchy

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome fish there cant wait to get a feed of Flathead again

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I see you this morning I was in my tub. I saw a blue kayak on the sand bank on my way to pelican.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 004dam View Post
    I think I see you this morning I was in my tub. I saw a blue kayak on the sand bank on my way to pelican.
    That woulda been me. Hope I gave you a wave : )

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Top work Funchy,a well earned reward mate.
    Paulo
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report Funchy that Jew would have been great fun on light gear...Well worth getting up early..

Baz