Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile St Georges Basin Surface Session

I decided to hit the Basin on sunrise to try for some Bream on surface lures, working a Gladiator Kozami 60 walk the dog lure it wasn’t long before I managed to snare a couple of Bream with long pauses after about a 50cm retrieve, I also stirred up several boils and missed strikes.

I worked my way along a shallow weedy point that has deep water on either side, the glassy conditions made it easier to see any action on the surface, I could see fleeing prawns and tiny baitfish being harassed by small tailor and bream right up around the weed edges.

I stuck with the surface lures until a failed to raise any other fish. Coming back off the shallows I started working a deep diving chubby near the edge of the deeper water where the depth changes from about 4 feet into 12 feet. I could still see small tailor working way up on the flats. Working the chubby with long pauses and sharp rips I soon hooked up again. It felt like any other bream take, a small tick in the line and short dart of speed, The fish felt good although it came almost straight to the boat but staying deep, I soon realised that it wasn’t a bream when 30+ meters of line screamed off my reel, still not having seen the fish I actually called it for a good sized silver trevally because of the speed and pulling power, I used the minn kota to steer the boat out from the shallows and into deeper water free from any obstructions, this proved a sensible decision because the fish stayed deep and had several shorter angry runs before I could finally see the mystery fish. Being solo I had the net between my legs and worked the fish up from the deep, slowly the leader knot broke the surface and shortly after so did my PB flathead. A beast at 86cm.

She was pretty tired after the fight but I managed to slide her head into the net and gently lift her out of the water and onto the boat. With the live-well pump flat out I gave her a good chance to recover before ringing my fiancé to come and meet me at the boat ramp for some “HAPPY” snaps.

Using the electric we slowly swam her for a good few minutes to give her the best chance of a full recovery. Seeing her glide off again under her own steam was the icing on the cake.

I would never have guessed that such a big flathead would take a 38mm chubby.

Cheers,

Brendon.

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome flattie mate! They put up a great fight on the light gear!! Thanks for the report!
    Cheers drew

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

nice flatty mate well done

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome Flatty mate. Great report. Surprising sometimes how small a lure big fish will hit. I have caught a few nice jewies on bream sized plastics. Guess there might be something to the "Jelly Bean" theory. Well done mate.
    Fishing. Its only an addiction if your trying to quit!

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

great flatty mate,a pb is always a nice personal acheivment

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

thats huge, and fat..!! top fish..congrats..
    Experience is something you dont get until
    just after you need it.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that a Flathead.
    Great fish.

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Cracking Lizard Brendon, lucky the lil lady was available to come take the pics.

Pete
    "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you" - Satchel Paige

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Solid flatasaurus they seem to love those bite size jelly beans.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work,thats a top flathead,always good to see the big girls swim away.A pretty good session all up.
    Paulo
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast