Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ANZAC day creek/flats bash

Bit of a late report from Anzac day.
    We decided to take the Poly over to Fraser to chase some bread and butter species, first of all on the flats. It was the first of the incoming we pushed up into a little so called bay, that is the run off from one of the creeks. This was to our advantage, as the tide rose the fish would just push up higher and higher until there was enough water in the creek to get up it! So we first started flicking 100mm squidgy wrigglers around in search of a flatty or two, to no avail. We kept seeing a lot of surface action so I decided to tie on a 35mm bubble pop, man did it make a difference. First cast I had a follow and second cast I was on, score a nice 29cm bream. Few casts later my little bubble pop is just inhaled, suspected flatty, after a good fight on the light gear the flatty was landed, measuring around the 55cm mark. As the tide crept up more the bream were just making there way up in plague proportion. Dad still hadn't had a touch on the plastic so he switched over to a little walk the dog style popper. For the next hour it was non stop action, nearly every cast we were having follows and hits, missing a lot of fish, but in the end we ended up with about 7 bream on poppers and I also managed a nice 32cm whiting. Now the tide was up a bit high for the flats fishing we decided to make our way over to the creek we had decided to fish. Got to the creek, deployed the electric and started to flick around the 100mm squidgy wrigglers. The first part of the creek is where we'd usually pick up, heaps of big whiting, flatties and bream, but we didn't manage a hit. Very unusual. We reached the first bend where there is a big whole situated right on the corner, this spot usually produces the goods. First cast in with a Thready buster in a snag, it is smashed and this fish was pulling a locked up drag, but pulled hooks. Next cast, same spot hooked and landed a nice little 50cm jewy. From then on the fishing started to fire landed another 10 odd bream ranging from 28cm- 34cm, I got a small flatty around 50cm and I also managed my fish drummer? I didn't think they were in water down this far? Also got busted off a few times by some good fish! Anyways moved up to the next corner, and of this spot is were we would usually pull off a few really nice grunter around the 50cm mark, but only managed 6 grunter biggest going around 40cm, this was very strange. We were about to go when I said just give me a few more casts, I was casting to a little drain, lined with mangroves either side. Third cast into it my little wriggler was smashed. I called it for a grunter straight away as It powered of with strong hard runs, yelling to dad to get the net ready, half way through the fight It surfaced and I saw red, after that my legs started to shake a little and I started to get nervous, as I was only on light gear with mangroves either side, but after about a 5 minute fight I hand the jack safely in the net, it measuring 47cm. I got him on my 1-3kg egrell, 1000 ci4 and 6lb yamotoya with 12lb leader. Next second we hear another boat smashing up the creek only to be greeted by a dirty PRO. We think he was smashing up the creek trying to scare everything up it then he had his nets ready and he was going to set them across the bend and leave it until low tide. But he stopped and stared at us for a few minutes then took of, So maybe this was the reason for the whiting, bream, flathead and grunter being so scarce?
    Was a good morning trip, was back by lunch time.

Cheers Dane
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To much water to fish and not enough time......

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is the jack!! Also it was 46cm, Not 47cm.
    Also sorry about the photo's,my computer isn't letting my rotate them for some reason?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice, looks like a luderick?
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

nice morning fishin , good jack that...
    Experience is something you dont get until
    just after you need it.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea sorry, it is a luderick, got them mixed up!

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Cracker fish still
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Some very nice fish Dane, well done..

Baz

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks good mate, a good mornings effort
    Fishing Fishing Fishing. I like Fishing

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

You're on the money again Dane,some nice fish there.Good looking Breambos and the Luderick looks fit. By the by are you sure you don't know my Physio???? He makes a few bob the week after your reports for some reason lol.
    Paulo
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barramag View Post
    By the by are you sure you don't know my Physio???? He makes a few bob the week after your reports for some reason lol.
    Paulo
    Ditto.

Turn you f#$%in photos around Dane!

Good fishin mate, well done!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast