Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sunshine Coast - Oxymoron?

Well the weather was soooooo glorious there was just no way I couldn't get out and enjoy this fantastic opportunity....

Up Sat morning at 3:30am and on the water at the Caloundra end of the Passage by 4am. There was a fair bit of run in the tide and it took no time at all to get to the end of the passage trolling. Pulled up on the beach at Bribie right on the tip and cast SP's around till the sun came up. Did no good. Jumped back on the yak and paddled down towards Pelican waters bridge. I was trolling on the way and hooked up to a really nice flathead out the front of the boat hire place. Had it to the side of the yak, the net was gently slid under him and just as he was being lifted from the water he gave a big flick, threw the lure and had half his body out of the net. Now I have the reflexes of an indoor house plant, by the time I reacted he was off swimming his way to freedom. A very nice fish well into the high 50cms or low 60's. . Got 1 bream down at the bridge and trolled up another flatty on the paddle back (Only went around 38cms. He went back). I paddled the last 500 mtrs home in pi$$ing down rain with the anchor out.!!!! I was stuffed when I reached shore

Sunday morning it was another beautiful morning of liquid sunshine and ~ 20 knot winds so I leapt out of bed at 4:30 am and was off to enjoy it all again. Anchored up under the Pelican waters bridge and got hit a couple of times but no hook up. Then whack.....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz..... yeeehaaaaa. Wasnt a flatty thats for sure. He was peeling off some line and dragged the yak over towards the pylon. For a short time I was very worried he'd bust me off on the barnacles. After a very satisfying tussle I had a nice little jewwy in the yak. He went aroud 55cms. Lot of fun on 6lb line with 8lb leader He went back and I cast around for another hour but only one more whack but no hookup. Decided to troll up the Pelican waters canal and got up to the tavern bridge. Anchored up and flicked a Zman grub around. Scored my first ever Trev on SP so chuffed. Trolled back towards the Passage. Flicked again near the bridge fro a small estuary cod. Paddled to the end of the canal, chucked a righty and headed down to the Bells Creek beacons and weeed beds. Was very tough going pushing against a strong southerly. Fished an hour or so for 1 small flatty.

Looks as though the weather will turn nasty tomorrow so might have a sleep in.

Sorry about the pics, low light and a fair bit of liquid sunshine.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Great little session mate. we had our fill of liquid sunshine yesterday..
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

You should be commended for your well earned fish and efforts, so I dip my hat to ya!

For those who arn't familiar with the area and where Funchy paddled, there's a few miles between his fishing destinations.

Well done mate, some nice fish caught.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Very keen man, well done...(Reflexes of an indoor house plant) Love it lol..

Baz

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report funchy. You deserved a few fish for making the effort. Well done.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like hard work, your pretty keen. Good to see you got a few for your efforts
    Fishing Fishing Fishing. I like Fishing

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

lol lol lol " Reflexes of a house plant " lol lol nice 1 mate.Weldone mate great ending.

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

How's the new yak treating you. Good to see its got some fish slime in it.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 004dam View Post
    How's the new yak treating you. Good to see its got some fish slime in it.
    Yeah mate the new yak is great. My issue now is stopping long enough to fish cos it is so much easier paddling this than the old 8ft jobbie. Cant wait for the weather to be right for a fish off Moffats.