Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gunna TryMyLuck with the Whisperer at the Dump

Last weekend I managed a three day run with the Bay Whisperer and Gunna. We camped out at the Log Dump on Kauri Creek and use the yank tank as the platform for some fishing, crabbing and general solving of global issues.

Friday we meet up at the site and setup camp before dropping the boat in for a delivery of the pots and a bit of a fish. We headed out to the mouth of the creek and then on the rising tide, drifted the flats and into a little creek. Wind was from the north and blowing fairly solid. Gunna got off to a great start by casting off his new thready buster, never to be seen again. Up the little creek we head under electric and despite spending a lot of time extracting the Whisperer's and Gunna's lures out of the trees when gusts of wind took over, Pete got us on the board with the steady flow of good flatties and then Shane joined in on the action. Worked our way out and slowly over the flats before heading back up creek to meet up with Mark (doing the social bit) and check the pots. Couple of undersize and one good keeper. With Mark in a social mood and a roast to cook, the fishing was suspended for the day and evening social activities commenced. Fire lit, roast prepared, crab cooked, vegies on, bevies consumed, nibbles enjoyed, crab eaten, bevies consumed, roast feasted upon (how good was that crackling!), roast sangers made for lunch the next day, bevies consumed, world issues solved, fire stoked, wild dog warded off, bevies consumed and somewhere in the night/morning, the swag found.

Early up Sat to bacon and eggs, before Mark headed off to a prior engagement and the rest off to fish some deeper water. With Gunna driving, he tried to ship wreck us on a sand bar at 30knots, but we got away unscathed and head out to the reef near the Buff to see what was about and sound up some marks for later on. Found plenty of marks with good shows on it but fishes were a tad hard to extract. Some missed hits and vermin, then again Gunna starts the ball rolling and pulls up tight to a good size cod that came aboard. Had a couple of casts at sporadic tuna, but no cigar. Onwards to some creeks again and some more exploring. Some drifting of flats and some flatties, tailor, but there was exploring to do. This time we went WAYYYYYYYYY up the back of Teebar creek on the rising tide and it is a maze of shallows and tiny channels. Not exactly ideal country for the yank tank, but we made it through and again found some brilliant looking country that just had to hold fish - nope! Not keen to getting caught way up the back of the creek on a falling tide, we worked our way out and as Shane wanted to have a look at Teebar ledge, we went over there in an increasing wind for a look and a troll along it. Again good shows and no hits! Then Shane said we should head back as he had some cooking (stew) to get underway and it would take 45mins to get there. Finally in yank tank territory - wind against tide chop and into it we went. 15 mins run to the camp and the Whisperer was set ashore whilst Pete and I checked the pots and fished some areas that looked promising. Lots of undersized, but no keepers. Some pots looked like they had moved a bit, so I think we were sharefarmed. No enjoyment on the fishing front but it beats mowing, so pulled the boat out and headed for drinks, more intergalactic problem solving, a great feed of spicy stew (that was a ripper Shane), some bevies, ward off the wild dog again, more bevies and eventually into the fart sacks.

Morning rise to bacon and eggs again before heading out to hit the dropping tide drains in a creek. Progression of flatties to us all with Pete dropping a ripper wading the shallows, plus some bits and pieces (cod, etc), then in glassed out conditions we ran back to the reef again for a quick drop. Again sounded up some great country, but despite some promise and miss hits, only a few toadies made it to the boat, so that was it, back to camp. On the way in a couple of jet skis blasted through 200m in front, so despite the comment that they couldn't be caught, they were. About 500m from the camp, Pete spots feeding longies so anything that was still attached to our rods was cast, but they sounded quickly and left, so we head back via the crab pots to more undersized muddies and evidence of sharefarming. Boat out, camp packed up and off we headed. Boy does that mud take some cleaning off a dimpled effect deck. Resorted to the water blaster but job finally done.

So there it is, a report about nothing in reality, but a lot of fun and laughs had doing so. Fishing was quiet in comparison to recent trips (sorry boys), but the food was great (and all cooked on the fire), the bevies tasty, the crab delicious, the fire hypnotic, the weather ok, the midges controllable and the company good (if not a bit noisy). Pete managed to survive without needing stitches, blood transfusions or a trip to the hospital and the Whisperer managed to stay on his feet and not fall over.

For reference, the Log Dump camping area is off the Tinnabar road and is right on the upper reaches of Kauri Creek. Up stream of the camp is green zone. The ramp is rocky but has good deep water access on all tides and is suited to launching up to mid size boats with a 2wd. The creek has all tide access directly into the Sandy Straits and exits not far from the Wide Bay Bar. The camp grounds has two toilets is good condition but no showers or fresh water. Camping needs to be booked as the site lays in a state park (the ranger checked us on the first day). The grounds allow fire in supplied fire rings and there are plenty of available sites suitable to small-mid sized caravans, campers, tents, swags, etc. Bring your own firewood. The road in is dirt but well maintained and suitable for 2wds.

Steve

Attached Images Attached Images
    Now, I'm not saying we should invoke capital punishment for Stupidity, but how about we just take all the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Some more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Now, I'm not saying we should invoke capital punishment for Stupidity, but how about we just take all the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good weekend to me mate. Fish, crabs, beer and that roast looks damn good too!
    Fishing Fishing Fishing. I like Fishing

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    Sounds like a good weekend to me mate. Fish, crabs, beer and that roast looks damn good too!

I'll second that!!!

How good was the weather too and the glassed out conditions, hard to believe it's still winter.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

The fishing may have been a bit light on but it still sounded like a great weekend away.

Pretty extreme midgee protection in that last shot!

Cheers,
    Roo.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Roo Pete can be a bit soft at times. The midges weren't an issue. I slept outside in an open swag and had no issues. A squirt of bushmans in the morn and again on dusk and we were as right as rain.

Thanks Dave and Benny. Was a great weekend and great to catch up with Mark, Shane and Pete.

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

A Fantastic report and good pictures, thanks for sharing and to boot it sounds like you guys had a bloody good weekend and that's what it's all about.

Extremely pleased that you did not have to race off with Pete to the Hospital for stiches, blood transfussion,transplant,amputation or bypass, good stuff.
    Must have been close though with that wild dog around, it could have run off with one of Pete's leg's.

Cheers,
    John.
    Some cause happiness wherever they go.

Others whenever they go.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I missed it but good thing I did. Suffering from Shingles, throat infection and sinus infection and had grandson's christening.
    Next time for sure

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Great read Steve, sound's like a lot of fun.

Baz

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome report Steve! Looks like a good weekend on the water!
    Teebar is looking nice, keen to get up there pretty soon now the water is warm!
    i like to fish.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast