Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No complaints here ... : )

My missus heads out tomorrow for the USA and she wanted me home in time to help get things ready. Still, I started a little later than usual, hitting the water at 5am. Today I wanted to check my little bream channel out. As I paddled out I had a fairly stiff westerly at my back so I let it blow me across the passage and over to my spot. On the way over I flicked a 3inch gulp minnow around and hooked up to a 30ish cm flatty. Back he goes but donut averted thanks!! The moon setting in the west and the sun rising in the east made for a pretty morning sky. The tide was running in but it was still fairly low. Just right for my little spot.

I got up in there and started to flick around and then I felt that subtle little tap.... I paused .....then raised my rod tip and felt some good weight. This thing took off out of the deeper (2Mtrs) into the shallows (40cms). I had a horrible feeling it was a ray at 1st but then it started chucking a wobbly, tear arsing around and not liking the look of me or the Yak I rode in on. I was using my favourite combo,6lb Nano and 8lb flouro leader. It was holding up well. Finally after a great little tango I yakked him. 65cms of prime fathers day flatty fillets sorted!! I mucked around in there a little more but as the sun rose so did the wind speed so I decided to troll down the passage.

I paddled a couple of klms and then set up for a drift in about 4mtrs of water. As I got into shallower waters I was struck again by a 47cm flatty. It was only just hooked. His unlucky day cos I needed just 1 more fish for fathers day feed I reckoned so he went into keeper net too. I then paddled about a klm back towards Bells trolling for nothing again then set of on another drift. I was back onto a 3 inch gulp minnow (in smelt) when I was absolutely smashed by something a bit bigger than a 47cm flatty This thing started peeling line off my little Pflueger like there was no tomorrow. About this time old mate in his ski boat towing a wake boarder decides it's time to come blasting past the only other watercraft within 2klms!! The fish had a fair bit of line on me and I was really worried this bloke was gonna ruin my day. He seemed to veer away from me but was still within about 50 meters. I turned my attention back to the fish. It had slowed a little and then he chucked a righty, he was pulling the nose of the yak around and working against the current. I had faith my drag was right cos I had the big flatty in no probs, I knew my knots were cool too cos I re tie them every time before I got out. It became a game of patience, slowly but surely I made ground on it, I saw colour and it was my biggest Trev yet!!! I buggered around and netted it. My measure only goes to 40cms and I reckon this went 46cms to the tip of it's tail. A heap of fun!!! Well I had to get home to the missus so trolled back and headed home. One of the happier mornings on the water I have had in a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like fun to me.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Love your work. Pair of nice flat ones. Trev would have been a good battle on the light stuff. Fathers day feast done and dusted.

Cheers
    Gazza
    Cheers
    Gazza

IF MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, THEN POLITICIANS MUST BE FROM URANUS

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

on yah funchy nice gt an fresh fillets looks like a good mornin

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff mate, well done.

Cheers,
    John.
    Some cause happiness wherever they go.

Others whenever they go.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff dude

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done Funchy. A couple a nice flatties and I bet that Trev gave you some stick. Good report and thanks for sharing what plastics you are having success on.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers fellas.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Great Father's Day feed there.

Cheers,
    Roo.

P.S.
    Nice filleting BTW!

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done mate, good to get out and have bit of a win. Nice feed too!
    Fishing Fishing Fishing. I like Fishing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast