Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fun times on the Burrum River...

I headed up the Bruce early on Friday morning with the plan to meet Chewy and Rakey at the boat ramp at Burrum Heads at 8.00am. Felt a little lonely without Kyle in the shotgun seat for the drive up!

After exchanging pleasantries and finding out that Chewy had a spewy night, Mick Baker joined us and our three boats headed up river, laying GPS paths to avoid the many sand banks and rock bars. We finally pulled up at a likely looking snag and started casting while Rakey headed around the next bend to try another spot.

After 5 minutes Rakey comes roaring back, fist pumping with a monster barra in the net! He had already smacked two barra in the first 5 minutes. I'll let him tell his story as there is much more to come from him...

When I found out where Rakey got his fish I threw a couple of casts into the same spot and got whacked! After a little tussle a 58cm barra came aboard. Later that morning I managed a small trevally and that evening I got a couple of tarpon at the Buxton Hole rock bar. Poor Mick fished the day with me and didn't manage to land a fish though he dropped two tarpon boatside.

We had a big BBQ dinner and all met each other that night, many for the first time. I went to bed early with the plan to hit the rock bar again just after dawn. Mick came with me again and promptly landed his first fish of the trip, a good sized estuary cod. Soon after he hooked up to a big barra that ran deep and threw the lure after a brief fight. We then headed up river and fished many spots for another cod to Mick and a few bumps and a brief barra hook-up to me. I managed another tarpon that evening at Buxton Hole before I got my best hook-up of the trip.

A big barra smashed my threadybuster on the lift and then peeled off 30lb braid against a tight drag. My angles were all wrong and the fish went under the boat where I thought I lost it when the line went slack. I untangled myself and re-applied pressure to see more line peel off the reel! Suddenly one hook pulled...I reached across to loosen the drag but before I could the second hook pulled and my fish was gooonnne! Damn, that would have made my weekend!

A good pub counter tea at the Burrum Heads hotel that night before another early sleep and a pre-dawn start on Sunday. Mick and I tried the rock bar again but only managed two tarpon and a small grunter to Mick. Nothing for me! All in all it was a top weekend with just about everybody managing a fish or two. Rakey had a cracker so I hope he posts a detailed report - hint, hint!

Thanks muchly to the Chews who organised a fantastic weekend. Jodie is a marvel, Andy goes OK and Paul is a legend. Nothing was too much trouble for this ActiveAngler family. I'm sure we all appreciated it.

You should all get to the next one if you can! Will post some pics later.

Cheers

Pete
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you guys had plenty of action mate dropped or not. Nice stuff.
    Steve
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

As a ring side spectator of your tussle in the Buxton Hole Pete I was holding my breath that she'd hang on.It was a good fish no doubt about that. It was good to meet you and Rakey for the first time in the skin,been a long time coming.
    Paulo
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, massive thanks to Paul, Jode and Andy, you guys were amazing, from tips on where to fish in the river to booking the pub for tea, and not forgetting the goodiees bags, thanks guys, had an awesome week end.
    Did have to have a little poppy nap on the way home yesterday, think super guide Andy Chew had worn me out on that Barra/Bass session Sunday morn - damn glad I changed my mind and went for a fish!
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweeto Pete, sounds like everyone had a ball.

Pete
    "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you" - Satchel Paige

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good one Pete ..... shame you didn't land the big barra

Chris

Life is too short - live everyday as if it is your last ...

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff Peter, shame you didn't land the big girl, that's what keeps us going back.

Can't wait to see the pictures.

Cheers,
    John.
    Some cause happiness wherever they go.

Others whenever they go.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Very sad I missed all of this.
    Fingers crossed I can make the next one!
    Red

Fish Well, Fish Egrell

Red@redmandesigns.com.au

FishLife Magazine - best mag around
    Red@fishlife.tv

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Pics from my phone -

1. Blurry 58cm barra
    2. Trevally
    3. Mick Baker with his first tarpon...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing Pete, sounds like everyone had a ball. I was wanting to get up there but was lost for time as I wished to meet up with those who I haven't yet met through this great site.

I'm hoping there'll be a next time when time allows and the stars align.

Cheers Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast