Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Burrum meet and greet

Hi all,

Been holding this report off until I could get some photos from my deckie/best mate Jason.

Had a fantastic time, good company, good food and the fishing wasn't bad either. Thanks very much to the Chew crew for putting together the weekend. I've been using online forums for over a decade and none of the others come anywhere near close to this one and I think that's largely due to the 'management' teams efforts.

Friday - I hit the water solo about 1030am and went up the gregory in search of anything that would hit my lure. It was a very slow day for me, only managing to wrangle in the one GT in the early afternoon. It put up a good fight on the 10lb gear though!

Saturday - Coaching commitments had me busy until after lunchtime and my deckie was still in transit. So we only managed to get on the water for about an hour in the afternoon. Managed a few hits, but couldn't get the hooks set.

Sunday - Got on the water about 8am after I slept in and we started throwing our lures at just about anything that looks fishy. Turned out our first spot had already been fished clean by Rakey! Jason still managed to pull in his FIRST EVER bass from this area. He was quite chuffed!

Nothing more for the next hour or so before we hit a nice peice of structure and pulled in 6 bass (3 a piece) from the one tiny spot over the course of about 30 minutes.

Couple of hours later Jason managed to pull up tight on his first ever lure caught jack using a 10cm xrap twitched over a shallow rock bar.

Monday - We headed down the sandy straights and into german creek. It was a pretty tough day, but we both managed a nice grunter each (Jason 50cm, me 47cm). Missed a few good hits though! Couldn't locate a single ball of bait anywhere in German or nearby. Finished the day off casting around in 4ft of water. Got all excited when I had a big hookup with a blistering run, but it was clear pretty quickly that it was a stingray. >.<
    Stop for a quick sound around the drop off just out from river heads beacon, HEAPS of bait and some nice proper fish arches on the sounder, but we didn't have time to drop down on them, Jason was already running late and had a 3 hour drive ahead of him to get home.

Looking forward to the jackoff now.
    Last edited by Chamelion; 12-09-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Please excuse the lip grips.. We didn't use them to boat the fish (had an enviro net for that), only used them to help keep the slippery buggers under control for photos.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice matty, those bass come off that tree I saw you guys at on Sunday morn?
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Nice matty, those bass come off that tree I saw you guys at on Sunday morn?
    Yeah mate, that's the one. We were having to cast in pretty tight to the structure, lots of snagging up occured. Managed one on the paddle tail, the rest couldn't be coaxed out for anything else but the humble Berkley MF40/MF50. Thankfully we got those MFs at $1 a pop, so it didn't hurt so much to lose as many as we did!

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

They hit hard in close to structure don't they.
    Interesting tree that one, will only get better I reckon.
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good work guys. Love the bass!

Sent from my Galaxy s2
    Ben..

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done mate, looks like your mojo's coming back! Nice fish and nice pics. The new boat looks pretty good too
    Fishing Fishing Fishing. I like Fishing

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you upgraded boats already Matt? You just got the last tub launched didnt you? Good move tho.

The Gregory is fun to get in an out, eh?
    So is German.
    Both are worth it tho.

cheers
    Andrew

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice one guys.

Looks like the new boat came with some mojo!

Cheers,
    Roo.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    They hit hard in close to structure don't they.
    Interesting tree that one, will only get better I reckon.
    They certainly do.. Had one hit on about half a dozen succesive casts without hookup before I hooked him. Think I lost a couple of lures in the process. Was tight up against the right hand side of the tree (looking back toward the ramp).

Quote Originally Posted by UndersizeBreamKing View Post
    Good work guys. Love the bass!

Sent from my Galaxy s2
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    Well done mate, looks like your mojo's coming back! Nice fish and nice pics. The new boat looks pretty good too
    Mojo is slowly returning.

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    Have you upgraded boats already Matt? You just got the last tub launched didnt you? Good move tho.

The Gregory is fun to get in an out, eh?
    So is German.
    Both are worth it tho.

cheers
    Andrew
    Yeah, the last one ended up being a bit of a stop gap.. This new one is more or less exactly what I've had in my head for years as my ideal boat.

Gregory... No troubles actually. Managed to fluke it right the first time a little whilst back and just went in and out the same way this time. Did have to drift over a sand bank that surprised me about half way from the gregory mouth to that ramp on the northern side of the burrum though.

The german.. Wouldn't even want to try it without my nav maps. I did try once, the first time.. Competely ballsed it up and ran aground on a sand bank. lol

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy98 View Post
    Nice one guys.

Looks like the new boat came with some mojo!

Cheers,
    Roo.

I think that's the most likely explanation. I did pull in a 40ish cm squire out on the test run. Probably what helped sell the boat to me. heh

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast