Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Acting Deckie

Last week i messaged Pete (Gunna) and asked him how the new boat was going and what he thought of it, for those that don't know Pete recently changed over to a Clark Dominator with a 60 4stroke zuke.

Anyway Pete came back and said, How about we have a fish on Saturday and that i then, could make up my own mind about the boat, by the way Pete is wraped in the new boat but he did not want that fact to put too much colour into a verbal report to me and thanks for that Pete.

The reason for the boat test is that i am well and truely over my quinnie hornet, don't get me wrong, it's a good boat but i am sick and tired of fishing out in the bay and getting green water over the bow, even at times in 10 knot breezes, a few others have also changed over to a more multi purpose style boat. When i bought the hornet the choices were very limited and obviously the cost of the hornets were high as they were in great demand. These days, boat manufactures seem to have come to the party and are producing boats that can easily perform in a lot more areas than just a stable impoundment casting platform.

With some reports posted on this forum exposing Pete's seemingly endless lists of misfortune, attacked by a ravinous tailor, savaged by a whiting, having a blood worm actually take blood from his tongue while he was attempting the resuscitate the worm by way of mouth to mouth, just to name a few and advice about a huge first aid kit, 000 numbers punched into the phone just in case, well as you could imagine i was a little apprehensive.

We met at the ramp in gentleman's hours, launched the boat and off we went, well we did not get far and we came to a sudden stop, sand bank, well i thought, it is near low tide and i have run onto the sand before so it's no concern, off the bank and away again.

Not long after we came to the bank Pete wanted to fish, tide still running out, nothing for quite a while, just a few small bumps, then over a period of 3/4 of an hour we boat a number of flatones, most just under legal and one fish over the legal by a few cm's. I see Pete trying to unhook a small flattie and it's kicking, twisting, i look around for the first aid kit as i was sure he was going to be badly gored by this rampaging flathead, but no! he managed to dehook and return the fish to the water with out having his blood dripping all over the boat.
    Then Pete breaks open the tucker bag! say's "Would you like a banana? oh! i said, Okay, that crap about banana's in boats is b/s i say. So we have banana's, a chewy bar, and i broke out some gourmet cheese and bickkies.

This is followed by ? you guessed it no more bites, we try many more places but no luck. From being able to see the Bribie bridge to running up to near the green zone no go, then Pete says, we will try that bank over there. So Pete sets a course along the edge of this bank, the incoming tide is now pouring over the bank and into a gutter, looks good, Pete casts out, whack first cast a small flattie, then after nearly half an hour of running along this bank for no more hits, thats it says Pete we'll go in.

Thanks for the outing Pete a great day was had, very enjoyable, we didn't fix the world but we tried, Your boat, very nice, a good smooth ride, quite stable and very dry, it's a boat certainly worth considering, i will now have a look at a few other boats get a few estimates i see if i can afford to make the change over, always lotto i guess.

Footnote: To all concerned, Pete got through the day without any nasty injuries or requiring hospital treatment

Thanks again Pete for a good day

Cheers,
    John.
    Some cause happiness wherever they go.

Others whenever they go.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks John. It was a pleasure to fish with you. And just for the record - one of those lizards gored me pretty bad but I am too tough to let on. Even managed to stop it bleeding before it started !!! Terrible injury today but being the trooper that I am I will just soldier on lol.

Good day on the water with good company. Dunno about that other bloke I fish with - he never gives me cheese and bickies !!!

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking from a H&S perspective I am very glad that Pete is using safe dehooking practices now.
    Nice day out boys. I have been searching for a banana in my boat for 4 years and still cant find it.
    We have no need for this risk assessment anymore:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Finally got one

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Steve, I can't open that attached image you put up???

Cheers,
    John.
    Last edited by obi_wan; 23-09-2012 at 11:15 AM.
    Some cause happiness wherever they go.

Others whenever they go.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve, Steve, Steve. I worked in risk assessment with ASIO for years. Even the most basic Risk Assessment Manager knows you must include the points in favour of accepting the risk, as well as the likelyhood of it happening.

Now if you adjust your template then include as a plus the chance of me getting my gear off and fishing naked, then clearly the joys of fishing with me are much enhanced and sought after !!!

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good read John, bad luck about the fishing but glad that nobody was injured during this adventure..
    Baz

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

he never gives me cheese and bickies !!! ,(Aw didams)

John should of fished with me mate I got my deckies onto fish over the weekend , what flavour sangers did he provided if it was peanut paste he made them if chicken his wife made them I should of called ahead anf got her to make some for you she would do that for me,
    well done boys
    shane

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

I have heard that when using gents for bait it is advisable to place them under your tongue until they start wriggling.I preferred to just place them in the sun for a short time to warm them up.Perhaps it may be safer for Gunna to follow my lead rather than placing his bloodworms near his tongue.
    Cheer, Mick
    aspire to inspire before you expire

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

What are we going to do?
    Go fishing with Pete

What can Hurt Us?
    Flathead, whiting, blood worms, chicken sandwiches, chocking on bananas, hooks, anything sharp

Risk Rating
    H24

What are we going to do about the Hazards?
    Leave Pete at boat ramp

Residual Risk
    L5

Jease that didnt work lol
    Last edited by Snodger; 23-09-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

You left out the naked fishing bit !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast