Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no doubt that they read the forums.. Good showing of fish caught in certain areas on here and they'd be down there the next day cleaning up.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
    I have no doubt that they read the forums.. Good showing of fish caught in certain areas on here and they'd be down there the next day cleaning up.
    Hmmm a bit of reverse reporting maybe on the cards. Lets not identify the rivers we were fishing. Keep them guessing.
    Finally got one

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Trouble is, they have been doing this for a fair while, they got a pretty good idea where to net. Nothing lets you know what's in a system like putting a net across it. Unfortunately they are quite good at their jobs
    Fishing Fishing Fishing. I like Fishing

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Can they net on the weekends? Fishing in Cairns last Sat and there was a net strung along my favorite snags with him watching it. Wasnt sure if he was in the right or not. QLD is the Slow State regarding netting around cities, it has to change.
    Smithy

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

If your not sure if its legal or not, take a photo, details of boats etc and equipment.

Then ring up Fisheries when you get home, if they are allowed, then no foul. But if not you have the evidence. At the very least it is a starting point.

Trev

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithy4 View Post
    Can they net on the weekends? Fishing in Cairns last Sat and there was a net strung along my favorite snags with him watching it. Wasnt sure if he was in the right or not. QLD is the Slow State regarding netting around cities, it has to change.
    Smithy
    I've seen the same thing- could even be in the same spot. It was a tricky thing for me because I'm always down there often, at night, by myself. I made a call not to be confrontational, main reason being the offenders invariably pull out the race card... I've worked the prawn trawlers in the Strait and truthfully.. can see where they're coming from, at least.

I just cruised up, started having a yarn.. then quietly mentioned that 'some white kunzi' had bailed me up about the net and was calling DPI on his mobile. Net was packed away within 15 minutes.

I don't know about down South.. but up here there are really strong 'cultural' facets at work. Now I don't suggest that that exempts anyone from doing the 'right' thing. But I do make the point that, as far as recreational offenders go, there has to be a better approach than the authoritarian.

Heard of some good work being done in NT where monitoring/custodial roles were established for the locals. Would be great to see a similar program for indigenous urban youth...
    Alex.
    * Unless specified, all fish pictured were released unharmed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12