Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Brissy River fishing tips needed

All you Brissy River fisho's out there, it's time to come clean. Where can I catch a fish at the mouth of the Brissy River.

I have only ever fished for Threadies, live baiting of a night near the refuelling station on the Northern side of the river, to some degree of success. BUT today with the calm conditions, I tried a daytime assault throwing plastics for seven hours for no result. I tried the refuelling station, Rockwall on the Southern side at the mouth, out along the channel markers and across to the Western side and Southern end of peel. Conditions were perfect with no wind. I tried Z-rek shrimp, Z-Man Swimmerz and Squidgy wriglers.

Was I in the right areas and the fish not biting or are there other areas that fish better. OR Am I just a lousy fisherman. Probably more the case after my performance at the J.O. . I'm not after marks or gps spots, just a general idea of areas and what works best.
    Cheers
    Gazza

IF MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, THEN POLITICIANS MUST BE FROM URANUS

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to AF and read all of Dans posts. Friend him on Facebook under thready buster, I wouldn't follow anyone else for that spot.
    According to my chemistry teacher, alcohol IS a solution!

Sailfish
    Post Thanks / Like

That's fishing for you mate especially in the Brissy river. Some days you get non-stop action and some days your bait/lure stay unmolested the enter session.

The drop-offs along the pipeline and southern end of luggage point can be very rewarding at the turn of high tide but generally if you can pick up schools of baitfish on the sounder, the predators are usually not too far away.

The southern end of the rock wall right at the mouth can be very rewarding but the place is a parking lot during weekends. Best times would be first light on a weekday with minimum traffic. Keep an eye out for tunas because you might catch the occasional bust-ups near the beacons.

When live baiting for threadies, I tend to use herrings and prawns (if you can find any) and the jewies fancy small mullets and biddies. Lure wise I would persist with Damiki Armor Shad (Pink), Threadbusters (the ones with the dots on the back) and Squidgy Flick Bait (White).

Hope that helps mate. Keep going till you work out a pattern or cycle.

glenn
    I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself...

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Or have a look around on BFO..... As Gecko said, Dan is the river messiah.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Also have a look at Peter 4 's threads. He and Kyle seem to do pretty well around the islands further south,
    Finally got one

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Mate

one suggestion is don't just fish the around the mouth,
    with the lack of rain i find better fishing upstream

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Oldballs, you travel a long way to fish the river! What fish do you chase?

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Didley

fished the brisbane river area for almost 30 years -minus the 3 years i recently spent in Sweden, hence the location on my ID ( I think i joined the site when i was abroad in -30 deg temps with snow to the roof tops)
    My general way of thinking in the river and mud island region is to go where no man else is goes. Not only does no one else annoy you, but they cant see you catching the fish there fighting over. Iam no expert just someone who's fishes every week and have more success this way.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldballs View Post
    Didley

fished the brisbane river area for almost 30 years -minus the 3 years i recently spent in Sweden, hence the location on my ID
    Ahhh That makes sense. Things would be pretty ordinary in Sweden to go all the way to the mouth of the Brisy for a fish, good to have you back in God's country OB

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for your input. Seems like I'm in the right spots, with the right gear, throwing the right lures and bait.

CONCLUSION:
    Just a lousy fisherman. Just have to soldier on and persevere till I crack it.

Thanks again
    Cheers
    Gazza

IF MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, THEN POLITICIANS MUST BE FROM URANUS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast