Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bit of help please - Whiting on poppers

So I have had a few half hearted attempts at scoring some whiting on poppers with no success (can you beleive I have only ever caught flathead on them? Go figure).

Anyway, I have been using the old cup faced popper, constant retrieve, no pauses. I have been using a 2 - 5 kg rod and 6lb nanofil with 8lb leader.

I think I should lighten up on the leader and change popper.

Your thoughts, insights, suggestions and guidence is greatly apreciated

Thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

If you use a shorter leader of around 10-14lb mono, it keeps the lure tracking straight and help it stay up on top and not dive under.
    Rebel pop-r's, bubble pop's, stiffy poppers work, zip bait skinny pop jr's. anything relatively clear or with prawn patters seem to work the best
    i like to fish.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

kurty is on the money. I remember a good thread on here from last summer as well. Probably about as much info as you could ask for on the page without actually getting out there and smacking some.

But I'll let you in on a little secret...
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130768575...84.m1497.l2649

Whack some hooks on and fish as light on them as you want they are so cheap! Bit of red paint/nailpolish in the cup - get adventurous and a couple of black dots on the side... That is all the colour you need.

(I realise this bloke is reselling batches of Chinese poured lures which he pays next to nothing for himself, but unless you want to buy hundreds at a time from Ali-baba it does the job)

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd probably go as low as 2lb leader for whiting Funchy, but if you throw flatones into the mix then probably 4lb for a little bit of insurance. As far as poppers go, not sure what works best, still experimenting with that one.
    Cheers
    Gazza

IF MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, THEN POLITICIANS MUST BE FROM URANUS

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on what kurty said. Short leader about 2 ft, I use 12lb mono. As he said The shorter slightly heavier leader transmits the action to lure better and keeps it tracking properly.Also gives you the added insurance if a big flatty jumps on. I use a 1-3kg trion and 1000 Aernos spooled with 6 lb. Had a lot of success with river2sea bubblepop 45s and ecogear px45 even the clear gillies poppers you can buy in packs of 5 do the job just upgrade the trebles. Usually once you find an active feeding school you'll be hooking up every second cast or so. Just make sure retrieve is constant. If you see them following don't stop or slow retrieve as they lose interest. You'll be surprised at how aggressively the bigger ones will take a popper. Another tip. Seems to fire more around the dark phases of the moon. When prawns are at their most active.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Stradicfan; 02-11-2012 at 08:57 AM.
    Fishing. Its only an addiction if your trying to quit!

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Kurtz on the money Funchy,you could try any of the small walk the dogs, Atomic Hardz,Scum dogs. Keep the lure moving they love the chase.The poppers with a tail seem to attract most interest.
    Paulo
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, well there you go, short length of 12lb leader it is. So it wasn't the 10,000 poppers I've bought and tried. Information noted and stored in the memory bank. For sale: 9990 whiting poppers LOL
    Cheers
    Gazza

IF MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, THEN POLITICIANS MUST BE FROM URANUS

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tackle_buster View Post
    I'd probably go as low as 2lb leader for whiting Funchy, but if you throw flatones into the mix then probably 4lb for a little bit of insurance. As far as poppers go, not sure what works best, still experimenting with that one.
    No way, 2 and 4lb leader, you're setting yourself up for heartbreak!

10 to 12lb minimum for me and most I know that pop for whiting.

Biggest secret is to keep the lure moving, even after a missed strike.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm heading into my whiting popping haven in the morning Luke if ya wanna tag along.....followed by a lil session braining jacks for the hell of it. Give me a holler and we will get it happening.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mangajack View Post
    I'm heading into my whiting popping haven in the morning Luke if ya wanna tag along.....followed by a lil session braining jacks for the hell of it. Give me a holler and we will get it happening.
    Do fat dogs fart?
    Does the pope kiss tarmacs?
    Do one legged ducks swim in circles?

Calling now......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast