Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Felix - the black cat"

Saturday morning I was fishing in a club comp at Swansea,Lake Macquarie.The fishing was a bit slow, with many undersize fish,but I gradually put together a mixed bag of bream,whiting,flathead,blackfish and tailor.Not a lot of fish ,just one or two of each species.A few points for the comp and two or three nice feeds.
    However, the highlight of the day for me was seeing "Felix the black cat" fly over.Stick with me,I haven't been on the rum.In late 1941,when I was just a few months old,mum and I were evacuated from Darwin because of the Japanese threat.For the next 8 years we lived at Mosman,A suburb of Sydney.Among my earliest childhood memories are ferry trips across the harbour and being thrilled at the sight of the flying boats.
    During the war years,Rathmines on Lake Macquarie,was a secret RAAF base for Catalina flying boats.Catalina aircraft were likened to spitfires in the Battle of Britain because of the important role they played in frustrating the Japanese offensive against Australia.On Saturday a festival was held in support of establishing a hangar- museum at Rathmines to house a Catalina and associated wartime artefacts from Rathmines.Included in the festivities were ten light amphibious seaplanes landing on the lake, a fly past of Tiger Moths and a Wirraway Warbird.The
    VIP (VERY IMPORTANT PLANE )was the arrival of the Historical Aicraft Restoration Society's fully restored Catalina, Felix.
    As I was fishing several km from Rathmines,I was surprised to see the Catalina fly over not far from me but by the time I could get my camera out the aircraft was circling over the far side of the lake.I took a couple of photos on max zoom with the boat rocking in choppy conditions

Sorry about rambling on about something not fishing related,But it is often stated that our pastime is not just about the fish,but just being there and the whole experience.Seeing this grand old lady circling the skies over the lake, possibly for the last time ever, was a great experience that brought back some happy childhood memories for me.
    When th plane was returning to Sydney later in the day I managed a couple of closer photos.

Not a good enough photo to see the painting of Felix on the fuselage, but those of you old enough to remember the comic strip and cartoon character will understand the naming of this gracious old craft.
    Cheers, Mick
    aspire to inspire before you expire

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Great yarn Mick. Thanks for the photo's.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

She's certainly a gorgeous aircraft. I had the pleasure of getting up close to her a number of years ago.

I still remember the genuine Spitfire that was for sale at the Archerfield Aerodrome back in the 80's. $1,000,000 at the time. I assume it's either sitting in a hanger or it went overseas because I'm still yet to get a second look at the genuine article.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Mick, life is not all about fishing, well, not quite. Thanks for posting.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

It's called Reminiscing Mick,best done with a rum or two.Its stories like this I loved hearing from the parents and the in laws,always worth the listen used to pick up some gems.
    Paulo
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Mick

Having grown up at Wangi Wangi and spent alot of time at Rathmines (scouts, soccer, learning to drive, illegal drags, etc) I ended with a fair bit knowledge of its previous life during the war and saw a few catalinas come there for different displays and memorial days.

Great to see these special old girls still flying and looking great.

Thanks for the revisit. Will look them up when I go down to see the folks/brother.

Steve
    Now, I'm not saying we should invoke capital punishment for Stupidity, but how about we just take all the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

That would be a hoot to see a classic plane like that ....... There wouldn't be too many flying these days .
    Thanks for that Mick

Chris

Life is too short - live everyday as if it is your last ...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

great read mick ,imazing how some of those things always brings back smiles to our faces.i think we need a lot more of those thoughts these days.

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
    She's certainly a gorgeous aircraft. I had the pleasure of getting up close to her a number of years ago.

I still remember the genuine Spitfire that was for sale at the Archerfield Aerodrome back in the 80's. $1,000,000 at the time. I assume it's either sitting in a hanger or it went overseas because I'm still yet to get a second look at the genuine article.
    Hi mate,I would have loved to see her close up like that and see her land and take off.Unfortunately that happened several km from where I was.You can see FELIX on the fuselage clearly in your photos.I believe she is based at Albian Park in Sydney so I will try to get down there one day.Apparently the catalina that is to be housed at Rathmines is being restored in Spain at the moment.
    Cheers, Mick
    aspire to inspire before you expire

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Baker View Post
    Hi mate,I would have loved to see her close up like that and see her land and take off.Unfortunately that happened several km from where I was.You can see FELIX on the fuselage clearly in your photos.I believe she is based at Albian Park in Sydney so I will try to get down there one day.Apparently the catalina that is to be housed at Rathmines is being restored in Spain at the moment.
    Cheers, Mick
    I didn't get to see her land, but watching her rumble up the runway and get airborne was enough to stand the hairs up on the neck of a pre 1945 military aircraft aficionado like myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast