Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazing morning

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Amazing morning

Well, finished work at midnight. I walked outside and there was some cloud cover, very light spitting, quite humid, winds forecast were favourable for a spot I've been eyeing off near the mouth of the burrum since this time last year. So I forgot about going to bed and went fishing once the sun came up.

My intention was to catch a flathead for dinner with the mother in law coming over and maybe get onto a jack. I just used my light gear - 6-10lb rod, 2500 luvias, 10lb braid the entire day.

I did manage my flathead, did quite well on them in fact. Kept the smallest one, the bigger ones went back.

Someone didn't tell the barra it's closed season and ended up getting 4 boatside and 4 more lost through popped leader, rub through and spat hooks - sighted each of them... I figure that quite fortunate considering the gear I was using. They were just everywhere. I had to go all the way up into the gregory to get away from them.
    I think we can agree that it's not likely one would target barra on the gear I was using, so that said I did take a snap shot of the biggest one, which is my PB salty barra (first one for the day was my first ever). Very carefully netted, placed on the brag mat, hook removed from right near stomach entrance, photo taken and then fish swam under leccy power until she was making an effort to get away. No harm done.

The other barra were all close in size, around the 75-85cm marks.

Only click this link if you are not offended by a bloke taking the opportunity to photo his PB when the fish was all ready lying next to the brag mat.
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...012/IMG321.jpg

These are the flatties

And the little bream who thought his mouth was a bit bigger than it is

Last edited by Chamelion; 09-11-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Also.. I've had a name for my boat floating around in my head and it's just earned it. Mojo. hehe.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Unreal Matt, gota be happy with that.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Matty, that's a cracker of a barra mate, would be pleased to get that at monduran at the moment, even better on the light gear. Would have had fun written all over it I reckon.

Cheers
    Gazza

IF MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, THEN POLITICIANS MUST BE FROM URANUS

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Top day, goodonya.

Pete
    "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you" - Satchel Paige

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers, yep, they were a stack of fun. Plenty or aerobatics too. Really rekindled my enthusiasm for fishing.

Only downsides for the day - Having to get the boat back on the trailer with a thousand knot wind blowing diagonally across the ramp, chop rolling into the ramp and some wide bay water workers having smoko an arms reach away having a good laugh at my expense... A little hand would have been nice. Might have saved me cracking one of my trailer lights. heh
    And my motor going into a really dicky idle toward the end of the session. Kept stalling at idle. Checked under the cowling a few minutes ago and the idle timing screw had worked its way out, so the timing was super advanced or retarded. Will have to buy a timing light now to set it correctly. >.<

Still, worth it? Yes.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a good Barra Matt. I was checking the flathead photos to see where you folded the bragmat over under the fish . Couldn't see any fold so have to congratulate you on the size of the flatties too, particularly on 10lb.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done mate, good to see you having a win. A day like that really can get the interest back up
    Fishing Fishing Fishing. I like Fishing

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome morning Matt. Cant complain about that, Flatty tails for dinner with some Barra by catch. A nice one at that. Must have been fun on 10lb.
    Fishing. Its only an addiction if your trying to quit!

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Well earned mate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast