Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    slow twitched B52, up-grade the splits to double Halco 4XX, and owner ST66 trebles, barra lolly mate
    Yeah, the B52 are OK

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to stay off bait when your only just starting out with lures I found. I remember Each time I used to set out on a 'lure only' mission, I would always take a bag of prawns 'in case' just to guarantee a fish.. A whole day planned of lure casting would be a day of two casts and retrieves with the remainder soaking baits.
    Just gotta find some willing blokes or blokettes willing to take you around and show you a few tricks to get started, you'll never go back once you get started. Ever.

Going out confident, but not expecting fish is the way I go.
    Last edited by Kingston7; 11-11-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Critical turning point mate, lures and soft plastics can get very addictive! Start getting a few fish and you'll be hooked!
    Fishing Fishing Fishing. I like Fishing

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with soaking a bait,it has its place in the scheme. Scoring a fish on a plastic or lure does give you a sense of achievement though. You've tricked the fish, a plan of attack has born fruit and a learning curve moves on...to the next fish. It's very addictive, surface work especially.
    Paulo.
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a similar problem.I have used lures for many(too many) years for pelagics off the rocks,flathead,trout,marlin and a little bit of barra fishing etc but Bream and whiting on lures elude me.Every time I try,I end up going back to bait after a short time.Must be the old story of not teaching old dogs new tricks,or when on a good thing stick to it.I have toyed with the idea of going cold turkey on bait for a session or two but that is about as far as I have got to date.After my poor showing on lures at the M&G weekend I will definately need to improve.Will be interested to see how you get on.
    Cheers, Mick
    aspire to inspire before you expire

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I ask if anyone's had trouble with short strikes on the Zerek Live Shrimp? Had a couple of times yesterday when the SP got carried away by the tail!

I've rigged a single stinger hoping it'll fix it.
    30lb braid threaded through the segments with a needle to try and minimise the effect it'll have on the lures action.

The weather's gone to buggery today so I haven't tried it out yet.
    Plus, I'm making it all up as I go along.. so any and all comments welcome.
    A
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alex.
    * Unless specified, all fish pictured were released unharmed.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

like the idea of a stinger on a few plastics. Looks good to me and it should work ok. You may lose the odd stinger because of the braid being abraided but its definately worth a crack. Good thinking.
    Finally got one

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

they look deadly- that barra or jack is not far away

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Pay very close attention to the knots. Braid does not knot very well in the traditional sense. I'm not sure how braid and superglue react on each other, but if it's o.k. then I would be supergluing the knots for a little extra security. Other than that, they look really good and stingers are a godsend when it comes to cod fishing so I can't see why it wouldn't work on the Z-reks so long as it dosn't take away from it's action. Keep up the good work and hope to see a report of the one that didn't get away with your stinger.

Cheers
    Gazza

IF MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, THEN POLITICIANS MUST BE FROM URANUS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast