Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Estuary/Inshore fishing Cairns

Have been doing a reccy for some new land-based spots and found this brief report on the state of our Inlet.

12 odd years I've been here and never knew that this work was going on, let alone the work that was done to require the intervention in the first place!

The critical point that I took from it though, was that when lamenting our degraded inshore fisheries... it may not be entirely fair to single out the commercial fishos.

Definetly one for those with an interest in the region.

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3221659.htm
    Alex.
    * Unless specified, all fish pictured were released unharmed.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

After all this good work, It is interesting to note that the Member for Leichardt, supported by the President of the East Trinity Ratepayers Association is currently espousing a scheme to fill the land with dredge spoil from CN's proposed widening and deepening of the Inlet for Super Liners (bye, bye mangroves, fish nursery). It would be interesting to do a land search on the whole of East Trinity.
    In addition to the above, there was a proposal/s to build a mini city on the land - marinas, hotels canal development etc which included taking many millions of cubic metres of fill from Green Hill.

Alex, you may also not be aware of the development proposals for Admiralty Island and the Esplanade foreshore area to the shipping channel, both of which created fur-ore amongst the local population.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a tricky one- on the one hand Cairn's capacity for growth and development made the decision to invest in the region an easy one.

The paradox is that said development, potentially, comes at the cost of the very qualities that attracted me to the region in the first place!

Don't know quite how I feel about it all... but I'll certainly be more attentive with regard to policy development in the future.

Dunno.. maybe it's a 'getting older' thing!

Cheers Graham, will have a read up on the other development proposals you've mentioned.
    Alex.
    * Unless specified, all fish pictured were released unharmed.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Heard a rumour that there is a group lobbying for a restart of the tunnel to Kuranda idea too. Also a lot of discussion about 2nd southern access - bridge Aumuller to Admiralty to East Trinity in cairns.com.au . A lot of processes have changed this year,