Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Snapper on silly string at Green...

A couple of weeks ago Kyle & I discovered a 'new' spot at Green that produced good sized snapper on the early incoming tide. The area has all the ingredients - shallow sandy/weedy bottom next to rubble grounds next to a deep channel drop off and the occasional coral bombie.

There is a kind of eddy with the incoming tide that collects the baitfish and attracts the predators. Even better is that it is some distance from the regular boating traffic...

After getting up at 3.00am when the wind was howling, I woke Kyle at 4.30am when it suddenly dropped as predicted. In ten minutes we were on our way to the boat ramp and onto our spot.

When we were there last time we got the hook-ups but lost the bigger fish due to abraded leaders so we decided to fish with virtually no drag. This meant even smaller fish would give us curry and we would do a lot of chasing using 4lb braid and 8lb leader!

When we arrived my Mirashad was immediately smashed by a fair bream. Then Kyle hooked-up to a snapper on his Mirashad and while he got it in, it trashed the rear treble and lure was retired for the morning. He then tied on a Luckcraft Shingo and the fun began.

Between us we managed around 20 snapper in three hours and we lost as many again. Three unstoppables took our favourite lures including Kyle's Shingo and my favourite Jackall. One estimated 38cm snapper that Kyle hooked gave a great fight before it was sharked. Our best fish were a 48cm and 46cm to Kyle and a 39cm and a 41cm fish to me. All snapper were above 30cm and probaly 8 were legal...

Our method was to drift with the tide in 1.5 - 2.5m of water and cast across the current, retrieving the lures as slowly as possible with an occasional pause or twitch. At the end of our 200m drift we trolled back to the start under electric power. A few of the better bites came trolling against the current!

We were off the water and home by 10.00am before the storms swept through.

Anyway, it was a top session and would have given us a great feed of snapper if we hadn't released them all for another day...

Cheers

Pete & Kyle
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter4; 17-11-2012 at 02:04 PM.
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work boys! Sharked!? Bloody things..
    Ben..

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Some great fish there guys, would have been a real hoot on 4lb!
    Fishing Fishing Fishing. I like Fishing

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

jease i bet you had the 80lb cranked chasing some of them. Well done again boys.
    Finally got one

Sailfish
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you guys had a great morning. Well done.

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff Pete and Kyle! Would have been great fun on the light gear.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Top Stuff you two,awesome as usual. The Snapper hanging around a bit late or do you still get them usually in November. Sharks,a real pain in the ass!

Paulo
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barramag View Post
    Top Stuff you two,awesome as usual. The Snapper hanging around a bit late or do you still get them usually in November.
    They are an all year around fish is Moreton Bay, Paulo. The bigger models are supposed to be there to spawn in the winter but my PB fish was caught in January...
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats Great fun Pete.

Did the SOL get a run or is that spooled with heavier braid..?

Well done to you both.

Pete

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

The Sol is my barra reel, Pete. Got 19 of my 20 at Mondy in September. I love it!

- Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast