Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Getting my fix!

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting my fix!

Well 3 weeks travelling and no fishing had me chomping at the bit!
    Tee'd up to fish with a mate who had just got himself a new yak after getting rid of his previous "Yellow Submarine". We were to meet at spot X at 4:30am but at 1:30am I couldn’t sleep so I said bugger it and headed off. I fished in and around Pelican Waters bridge for a couple of hrs for not a bump. Headed over to spot X at 4am and just as old mate turns up I score a little undersize flatty. In he goes and we didn’t get another touch for the next hr so we moved. Fished close to the mouth of bells, I was using a 3 inch grub tail minnow in watermelon and felt that subtle tick at the end of the line, counted to 3 and lifted my rod tip and .... small bit of wait with the usual flatty headshake, started to reel it in and lo and behold it turns around and heads the other way with a hell of alot of weight... ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....bloody hell!!! I call out to old mate that I have something big, I tighten the drag a bit and turn this thing and then it it decides it's not coming in so away it goes again on another careering run then the weight just stops, ah bugger!! I lost it....start to reel in and bugger me if there isn't the original bit of weight from the beginning of the tussle . By this time I am thinking "What the hey hey" (My 6yrs old version of WTF). Seems I had been pulling in the little fella and something much bigger had grabbed and had a game of tug of war with me then picked up his bat and ball and went home mid tug!!
    After cursing and carrying on I got back into fishing when old mate asks if I can tie his leader knot (He is new to SP fishing) so I said sure, hang on I will just throw a free floater out, you never know... so I am tying his knot and zzzzzzzzz SNAP!! My leader knot had let go cos I hadn’t backed off the drag from the previous tussle . By this time I am fuming.
    Old mates knot is sorted and I am back into it and 3rd time lucky I am onto another weighty fish, it took some line, circled the yak, came dangerously close to getting tangled in my anchor rope but finally I get 64cms of pretty looking flathead on board!

I ended up losing one more good one after a short sparring session that really had me steaming but that didn’t last long, losing fish is all part of the fun. All in all a great day out with my mate, some fish were actually landed and some we had some laffs.
    It’s great to be home!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good work luke, must be nice to be back home. After 5 donuts chasing jacks, I'm missing the feel of a fish on the end of my line. Keep up the good work and thanks for the posts from Turkey, always good to know that wherever we are in the world we can still have a little bit of home with us.

Cheers
    Gazza

IF MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, THEN POLITICIANS MUST BE FROM URANUS

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Funchy
    Hope your working holiday went alright. Nothing like being home. I am actually working in Caloundra tomorrow. The boss just bought a unit in Kings Beach and needs me to work on it for a while (Oh What a Shame). I will give you a call and catch up.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice flatties mate, must be good to be home and back into the fish
    Fishing Fishing Fishing. I like Fishing

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Selfy View Post
    Hi Funchy
    Hope your working holiday went alright. Nothing like being home. I am actually working in Caloundra tomorrow. The boss just bought a unit in Kings Beach and needs me to work on it for a while (Oh What a Shame). I will give you a call and catch up.
    Cheers Mick, call anytime mate, we will get you over for home cooked meal.