Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jack Virgin no more. WooHooooo

Since the J.O. last year, I have been trying to catch the elusive Mangrove Jack, to no avail. But that all changed last night in a big way. To say I'm now hooked is an under statement.

Met up with DIDS down the Goldy about 5pm yesterday and after filling up the live well with mullet, we set sail in search of my first JACK. We fished a number of rockwalls, pontoons and pylons with lures and plastics till dark with no result other than a Cod for Dids.

After dark, we set anchor under a bridge and sent out livies for about 1.5 hrs with the only result being a catfish for me. Time to up anchor and handed the captains seat to DIDS and he set sail for his secret spot X . Although I didn't think the blindfold was necessary. Anchored up again at spot X and the livies sent to the bottom to work their magic. Nothing much happening after about 45min and nature calls. I said to Dids, "the best time to catch a big fish is during a nature break." So rod into the rod holder and head up to the bow to do what had to done. After putting the equipment away, I was looking at the clouds building while heading back to the seat when my rod double over and my drag was screaming in agony. Nearly fell base over apex getting to the rod and once out of the holder, I could feel the power of this thing and at that point I came to realise why heavy leader and 30lb braid is a necessity. After an expert net shot by Dids, there lay 50cm of RED FISH on the brag mat. To say I was excited is an understatement, still can't wipe the smile off my face.

How does one top that I hear you ask, Well once the comotion was over, some happy snaps taken, another live was sent to the bottom. Settling back into the seat and thinking did that really just happen or am I dreaming when whack, it's on again. After a tug-o-war DIDS netted my second ever JACK. Placed on the brag mat and again another 50cm JACK. Boy do these things go hard.

Things went quiet for a little while, then the telltale sign of a nervous bait transmitted up the line then whack. Fish headed west and I struck to the east and in less than a second it was all over, popped the braid. Did I swear, did I curse, no I couldn't have cared less, I was on such a high that I had finally acheived what I had been trying to since the J.O. I couldn't have cared less.

I owe a BIG BIG thankyou to Dids who finally popped my Cherry, Jack Cherry that is . The master and the apprentice. What a way to get broken in, a nice pair of 50cm JACKS .

DIDDS HAS THE PICS, SO I'LL LET HIM POST THEM UP.

Cheers
    Gazza

IF MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, THEN POLITICIANS MUST BE FROM URANUS

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations GazzaMust have been a few big reds on the prowl last night mate.They really are something special when they reach that size.Im sure thats a night you wont forget in a hurry.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Great night thanks Gazz, here's some photos
    DSC_1682.jpg

DSC_1683.jpg

DSC_1685.jpg

DSC_1692.jpg

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Geez, two 50cm jacks to get on the board!

Going to be hard to top that now.

Congrats.

Cheers,
    Roo.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I think we may have a new Red fish devotee on our hands, now you have to spend the rest of your life trying for the 60 club TB.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Great work Gazza (& Dids)...a well told story also!

Beautiful red fish but I'm calling the second one as a 49...
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what i reckon too Pete, just a pup, but the kid was excited

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Gazza! Nice work Dids

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW congrat's TB 2/50s in one night what a way to pop the cherry,well done..
    Baz

& well done Did's for taking you to spot x

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done to you too Dids.This isnt the first time you have taken someone to spot X and helped pop their jack cherry.Your becoming to be the go to jack guide mate.Think you might be getting a call from Glenn soon hahaha.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast