Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jack Tactics - Time to change?

Hi guys, great to see so many jacks getting posted, its prime season right now. The rains stuffed up the last 2 seasons, and this year, its all happening in our favour.

With all the boat traffic from the holiday makers, my usual spots were not producing, so I snuck up a local creek at Toogoom last weekend, and found some sunken logs on a deep bend. Ive been experimenting with heavy line, and now light line. Got this 44/45cm jack on 15lb line, and went easy on him. Lucky for me he didnt fight too hard, and then he blooded up with some of the darkest red Ive seen. Caught him at 8pm about 45 mins into the runout tide. Ive been throwing the Zmans around for the sunset, but with no luck, so I reverted to my trusted mullet strips again. What can I say, Im into results, not difficulties.I dont mind mentioning the spot, cos there are very few dedicated enough to launch at a mud ramp, and navigate sandbars at night. In 4 yrs, Ive never seen another boat there at night. Ive gone as low as 6lb line and leader, but kept getting busted off. Amazing to see the 58cm jack in BnB mag caught on 3 lb line!!!!!

For those who are into tactics, I can only say to keep trying something different, and not keep doing what you have been doing. This season, Ive added a tyre tube to my anchor chain to cut out noise. I still rate stealth as the number one factor when fishing at night. Ive also changed my patterns on moving spots. I used to be content to spend 3-4 hrs at a proven spot. This year, Ive had to move spots every 30 mins, unless Im getting bites to encourage me to stay. Set yourself a pre defined time limit, like 40 mins, and it will make you move spots, and discover new ways of getting red bites. I took a mate out a few nights ago to help break his jack cherry. We started at 6.30pm, and must have moved spots 7-8 times. By 11pm, he was ready to go home disappointed, when he got smashed, and wrapped around a deep snag, only to lose the jack. We stayed in that spot for another hour, but it was the only bite for session, and we wouldnt have got it unless we moved around.

Theres a great article in AFNs Sport fishing AUstralia (no. 60 current issue) on catching jacks in open water on sandbars on light gear. Its written by Bob from Davos Compleat Angler in Noosa, so its very relevant for those fishing the next Jackoff. He uses 6lb main and leader in 1-2 ft of water and catches multiple jacks per session around the lakes in Noosa river. Hmm, has he been listening to fejjy, or vice versa?

Theres also a really great article online in TTs e mag, on catching jacks on Zmans by MIck Horn. Mick is Keiths mate from the jack video we all bought last year. He uses a rapid burn fast retrieve for hits around structure, and maybe Ive been doing it all too slow. Subscribe to the emag, its free, and checkout the back articles at http://www.tackletactics.com.au/emags.php

Any other new tactics from those who think outside the square? Is anybody having success on unweighted plastics?

cheers,
    Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

That looks like a nice spot Gecko. I've had another bad year as far as putting the time in, I can count the trips this season on one hand, but in those trips, I've had very little interest from the red fish. Is it a slow season, can anyone tell me?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice jack Andrew & i really liked that link, some good reading in there.
    Baz

Sailfish
    Post Thanks / Like

My personal belief is that more time spent on the water hunting the devils = better results OR its just a matter of being at the right place at the right time on the right tide and the right moon.

Take Chris for an example. He is on jack no. 30 for this season because he invested time for the hunt. Michael is almost half way there and he only just started chasing them actively about a month ago. Both of them lives just 5mins from the water...

Been chasing them for the past 2 seasons (not actively though) and even with the guides and spots by Andrew and yourself, I remain very much an Oz jack virgin. This seaon I got abit more motivation coming from Chris and Michael so hopefully will pop the cherry soon.

Persistency is the key I guess.
    I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself...

Grand Slam
    Post Thanks / Like
    To the shed!

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob's been fishing for them on the sand for years now.

There's a few around Noosa who have great success fishing for jacks off the sand.

People spend too much time chasing Jacks in the snags, a sandbank is structure you know.

A sandbank dropoff, runout tide and bait congregation = Mangrove Jack, even in daylight hours.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
    My personal belief is that more time spent on the water hunting the devils = better results OR its just a matter of being at the right place at the right time on the right tide and the right moon.

Take Chris for an example. He is on jack no. 30 for this season because he invested time for the hunt. Michael is almost half way there and he only just started chasing them actively about a month ago. Both of them lives just 5mins from the water...

Been chasing them for the past 2 seasons (not actively though) and even with the guides and spots by Andrew and yourself, I remain very much an Oz jack virgin. This seaon I got abit more motivation coming from Chris and Michael so hopefully will pop the cherry soon.

Persistency is the key I guess.

I seriously can't wait for some rain- the last few summers we would of usually seen at least 1-2 weather events which flush out the rivers this year not 1, at the moment we have extremly clean water which is making it hard- I'd love to see some good rain - one thing I haven't done much this season is chase them at night hopefully will get into this a bit more- glenn mate hes just round the corner we will do a rain dance next time I see you an hopefully that will stir them up in a frenzy
    cheers Andrew for the information

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

especially at nite, shallow sand banks / creek mouths are a retreat for poddy mullet at nite, so where would mr jack look for a feed.
    Experience is something you dont get until
    just after you need it.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

I have long held the opinion that more jacks can be found well away from snags than in them. No matter where you hook them though, they will beeline for the nearest structure.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mangajack View Post
    I have long held the opinion that more jacks can be found well away from snags than in them. No matter where you hook them though, they will beeline for the nearest structure.
    Yeah but if your hoping to hit one on the head with a lure, you've got a better chance throwing at a snag than a sand bank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast