Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Boyne River Barra...

OK, it’s official – I am a self-confessed barra addict. After spending last Saturday morning at Kinchant with Birko, I thought my barra fishing would be on hold until April. Not so! Trev rang me on Thursday and said “How soon can you get here? The barra are biting in the Boyne River”. I checked my schedule, made a booking for accommodation and hit the Bruce Hwy with Kyle on Friday afternoon. After missing out on the barra bonanza in the Boyne after the 2011 floods we just had to go…

We were warned that only one method was catching fish and that was trolling! Kyle & I had some successful days trolling Monduran back in 2007 but we had done little since. We were about to learn that the art of trolling for barra is just as skilful and subtle as casting lures for these mighty fish.

Initially, the fish were only biting on a particular colour on each side of the low tide and at specific locations around the Boyne River mouth. These fish were a mixture of salties and Lake Awoonga escapees from the recent floods. Trev (Awoonga) and Scott (Vet) are locals that put a hell of a lot of time and effort into locating these fish and cracking the pattern to find out what will make them bite.

At dawn on Saturday morning we could be found on the famous purple skeeter gently trolling up and down a section of river under electric power. Trev had the flu and his condition worsened as the morning went on. His tips on what lures to use were spot on though and we managed 4 fish for the morning – an 80, 80 and 73 for me and an 83 to Kyle. Hey Nagg - my first two fish were caught on a viper – a great trolling lure! We also witnessed and assisted an older gentleman land a 115 that he hooked on a very basic rod and reel that had seen better days!

The afternoon was less successful and we were busted off a number of times as the barra hit our lures and the headed into the rocks. We lost 4 lures (including my viper) and we only managed one small barra (a 65 to me) for the session despite have around 7 or 8 hook-ups. Unfortunately Trev succumbed to the flu by nightfall but Scott volunteered to take us out for the morning low tide.

The Sunday morning session was a cracker! We managed 13 barra – 5 to me and 8 to Kyle with his first being a 103 and his last being the biggest fish of the day at 106. The water was distinctly clearer on Sunday and the lure colour wasn’t as important, though my replacement viper caught all 5 of my fish. What did matter was the depth at which the lures ran. The fish were sitting in around 3m (a metre or so off the bottom) at low tide. As the tide came in and the fishing pressure intensified, they hugged the bottom and would only strike at 4m or 5m lures dragged in front of them and often hitting the rocky bottom.

There were 5 or 6 boats copying our trolling run but we were the only boat consistently catching barra. At one point we had a stretch of 7 or 8 trolling runs for a fish or a hit each time, including two double hook-ups! Scott’s knowledge of their habits and holding positions were a huge advantage to us. The final fish (106) to Kyle came when we changed our run after Scott declared that the fish were moving wider as the water deepened with the incoming tide. The man is a guru and he was already contemplating how to change tactics and catch these fish on the cast in the coming weeks.

We cannot convey our thanks enough to both Trev and Scott who gave up their time, knowledge, boats and equipment to put a couple of Brisbane wannabees onto 18 quality barra. We had a hoot of a time!

Cheers

Pete & Kyle
    Attached Images Attached Images
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Pete and Kyle, Well done boys, it certainly was worth the effort. Its great when the locals are willing to help you out and show you what you need to do to catch fish. Nagg will have to get himself some Vipers, probably a few in the Garage from the old days when Awoonga starting firing. Congratulations Trev
    Fish for the future! Fish for your Grandchildren.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mylestom View Post
    Pete and Kyle, Well done boys, it certainly was worth the effort. Its great when the locals are willing to help you out and show you what you need to do to catch fish. Nagg will have to get himself some Vipers, probably a few in the Garage from the old days when Awoonga starting firing. Congratulations Trev
    No need to buy any vipers Trev - I've got several pristine ones (certainly no barra damage) .
    all good though .... but since they cast like a bitch I wouldn't need them anyway .

Chris

Life is too short - live everyday as if it is your last ...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Top report & pic's Pete, no wonder you are a Barra addict after that effort, well done to the both of you.

Some of those Barra are showing the scar's of the tumble down the wall.

Baz

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bazil Brush View Post
    Some of those Barra are showing the scar's of the tumble down the wall.
    Yeah Baz, clearly the bigger fish and many of the small ones were Awoonga escapees. There was a good mix of medium sized salties amongst them though. They were easy to spot as they were more silver, with yellow tails and leaner bodies.

Many fish also had red sores from the huge influx of fresh water into the system but they were all in good nick and struck and fought hard. The wily buggers used the current flow to their advantage...

Both Kyle and I managed salty barra PBs - 83 to Kyle and 80 to me...
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done guys, what a great spur of the moment trip! Good to see someone out fishing and catching
    Fishing Fishing Fishing. I like Fishing

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice one guys. Good to have the locals to show you around.

Pete
    "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you" - Satchel Paige

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! what a trip, well done! You scored well getting a ride with both Trev and Scott, both possibly bigger barraddicts than yourself?!

Looks like you had some traffic to contend with there, I guess it will only get worse as word gets out.

Nice to see some salties in there amongst the escapees.

Go the Vipers!

Cheers,

Matt

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done Pete and Kyle,and Trev and Scott.Great to hear about a few barra being caught.Keeps me keen for another trip north.
    Cheers, Mick
    aspire to inspire before you expire

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

top effort men i could see you hooked up regularly and the smile from kyle could be seen a mile away .we accounted for a couple of salties too kept one for tea and it was real good,one of the first barra i have kept in a lot of years.
    the world is a lot better place if you just smile

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast