Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    Especially after a flood event when clearly the influx of fish numbers is due to the out flow of the dam (that is stocked at expense). It pisses me off that the Gov departments bow to the likes of PEW and the Greens locking up great expanses of water to then allow something like this to happen. It's not like they haven't experienced this situation before, unless they were all asleep two years ago! Unfortunately a great opportunity to improve the local fishery will again be lost. Having such numbers of large brood stock introduced to the system can only be of benefit unless of course they're all caught. Even if they didn't breed, as has been said, the tourist dollars generated from rec fishing would go a long way to help the recovery of an area that's just had it's ass kicked.

Rant over, can you tell it was a long day at work?

Cheers,
    Dusty

Well said dusty.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not just barra they catch in the nets, after they netted in the first big flood dozens of dead turtles started washing up around the mouth of the Boyne too.
    Last edited by Didley; 19-02-2013 at 07:07 PM. Reason: A little over the top Ryan

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

General feelings on this post are not likely to get an argument on this site, but please keep personal insults off AA. If what they are doing is legal try and get the law changed.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

the pro's here in the boyne / Gladstone region are pretty weak, and theres no fisheries to stop it nor do they care. several phone calls made bymyself and others have complained about how they operate - example each winter they almost entirely net the whole mouth of the hotwater outlet, tied to each end of the bank, although a meter gap in between nets so its still considered legal. and 9/10 they run off and leave there nets sit, in a location were dugongs are regularly spotted. also last year I was sent a picture from a mate which was 7 tonne of boyne barra netted in one night! and lastly only recently in the closed season someone from the fisheries approached me and asked if I was chasing barra in closed season.. I said no. he replied "just make sure if you trying to get barra its all catch, tag and release" ...riiiiiggghhtttt, what cereal box did you get your licence out of?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    Especially after a flood event when clearly the influx of fish numbers is due to the out flow of the dam (that is stocked at expense). It pisses me off that the Gov departments bow to the likes of PEW and the Greens locking up great expanses of water to then allow something like this to happen. It's not like they haven't experienced this situation before, unless they were all asleep two years ago! Unfortunately a great opportunity to improve the local fishery will again be lost. Having such numbers of large brood stock introduced to the system can only be of benefit unless of course they're all caught. Even if they didn't breed, as has been said, the tourist dollars generated from rec fishing would go a long way to help the recovery of an area that's just had it's ass kicked.

Rant over, can you tell it was a long day at work?

Cheers,
    Dusty
    Good to see you back Dusty. I thought you must have been shipped to some war zone.

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks 3Macks,

Had a pretty busy year welcoming new Australians out around Christmas Is, then every time I was home I was sent around the country for this course and that, meanwhile the home computer went tits up. I have to fess up though, I bought a new 4WD and it's taking up a fair bit of time (playing around!). So now I have a fourby and the tinnie sorted I'm being sent to bloody Sydney for 6 months! The bug never went away, just time poor. Yes, i've used a bloody new age yuppy term (time poor) but it does fit I suppose.

Cheers,
    Dusty

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Like ya passion benny
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UndersizeBreamKing View Post
    My bad. Just grinds my gears.
    Understand your point of view mate. All good.
    Now, I'm not saying we should invoke capital punishment for Stupidity, but how about we just take all the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Like ya passion benny
    Gets me into sticky situations at times
    Ben..

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UndersizeBreamKing View Post
    Gets me into sticky situations at times

Not such a bad thing at times. How is you missus?
    Now, I'm not saying we should invoke capital punishment for Stupidity, but how about we just take all the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12