Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Topwater shout-out

I just want to give a real quick shout-out to Micko, who is probably the biggest topwater nut I know!

I can cite him as a direct influence in my trying poppers and, subsequently, for my first saltwater surface-strike.

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

Just a wee Cuda and probably not a species that it takes a lot of skill to goad into a strike... but he sure didn't like having a hook in him and was enough fun to see me casting more topwater artis in the future.

Mick, old mate, you've got a lot to answer for!
    Alex.
    * Unless specified, all fish pictured were released unharmed.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice stuff Alex. I have caught buggter all on surface so I would love to catch one of them as a starter they go great.
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good work Alex...

Kyle is the 'surface nut' in our family. To date he has caught bream, tailor, trevally, flathead, pike, snapper and longtoms on surface offerings. He has also lost either a mackeral or small tuna as well...

Lucky for me that I have a solitary Awoonga barra on a tango dancer to my name...
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone has to start somewhere.Wont be long till barra & jacks are all over it.Caution......VERY BLOODY ADDICTIVE.Nice work champ.

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Mate,

as you can tell... I am hooked. I have spent way too many nights catching trevally on poppers down the broadwater of the Goldie. It really got me hooked. I have cousin's up your way. I love chasing sooties & JP on poppers as well. You can not beat the adrenaline rush when a fish first hits. I fished the run-off in the Daly one year. I honestly thought I would die of fright, a few times. Barra's boofing lures under your nose is scary, but so awesome.

I have been getting a few bass & bream on poppers, from the yak. The first surface strike beside the yak resulted in me getting a wet arse. I never learn.

Enjoy the new found love. I am still yet to get a jack of the surface down here. Got a few when I was up north a couple of years back. That is my goal this summer. The fact I have upgraded the GF, and this one is a keen for a sneaky boat trip and fish should really help.
    Is a better golfer than fisherman... Apparently

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

love surface, bit of a saying we have, 1 on surface = 5 on sub surface, so visual
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good one Alex. If I didn't have to go to work for some garbage thing this morning and Steven not wanting to bring the boat in at lunch time, you could have had the opportunity to try one on some macks. Next time the wind is down.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers guys,
    I can see why the people who rate it really get excited about it. I'm definitely a fan.

Now to target something I can get a steak or a fillet off!
    Alex.
    * Unless specified, all fish pictured were released unharmed.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Noice. Love topwater, my first top water fish was a few chunky pike!
    Ben..

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Oooowww you are in some much trouble now. Once bitten you will never give it up. 90 percent of my barra have been on surface and I could never get tired of that explosion and noise( especially in the dark). The marlin last year on a popper ranked pretty high too. Welcome to the addiction!
    Now, I'm not saying we should invoke capital punishment for Stupidity, but how about we just take all the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast