Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Location of Barge?

I managed to get my ugly mug onto a fishing tv show day - 'Hook Line & Sinker'.

Anyway, I didn't get to go fishing with the lads, but they were telling me that they went on a charter this morning in the bottom of the bay somewhere. They said it was Sth of Mackay Island and they fished a sunken barge, apparently it was near mangroves. The lads said that it didn't look like a place you would normally catch snapper, but they managed to get a few.

I was wondering, does anyone know where this 'mystery' barge is?

Cheers

Trent

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

yes do tell.......................
    Finally got one

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know it Trent, sorry

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothin too exciting, the UNI I went to is a major sponsor of 'Hook Line & Sinker' & was doin one of those "This is what I do now" adds.....nothin to do with fishing unfortunately.
    However the tv presenters were very cool and professional, it was great fun.
    Apparently they use to be Journo's in Tassie, they threw caution to the wind and decided to make a fishing show, that was 5 years ago.
    Livin the dream I reckon....good on em

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

No worries, thanks. Been given step by step instructions would have been way to easy anyway eh.
    Actually, they did say that they caught all the snapper on trolling hard bodies.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

haha, we went to a White Lion charity event last week at Salamanca and the Hook,Line and Sinker lads were hosting it. Very funny, had a good chat with Nick. Said they went to Fiji to do a segment and didn't catch a fish! lol
    Was also talking to Lonnavale locals, My Kitchen Rules boys Mick and Matt.

We're mixing it with the celebs down here! lol

Sorry Trent, dunno about the barge.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it Macleay Island in the southern Moreton bay or some other Mackay Island you are talking about??

The southwestern corner of Macleay Island has a sunken houseboat I keep hearing about.......not exactly against the mangroves but it is shallow enough to hit with your boat at low tide. I don't have marks for it but if you whack the question up on AKFF you will probably get someone pm you the coords for it.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep Macleay Island in the bottom of Moreton Bay is the one I am talking about. The guide that the boys from 'Hook, Line & Sinker' went out with was saying that the snapper were there, however they were tightly schooled up on the sounder. Apparently if they are a slightly more spread out they are feeding and easier to catch.....that's his theory anyway. I think the boys went with 'Moreton Bay Fishing Charters', they had a great day in all. I wouldn't mind finding that old houseboat, I will have to start searching eh. Cheers. In saying that, if anyone is feeling generous it would be awesome if they PM me a little help to point me in the right direction. I will even take you in my boat if you like!

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

theres a sunken house boat just of peel isl???
    someone told me the other day that there are more important thing's in life than fishing, to which i replied..... what?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

An other at Macleay too Wayne.
    Macleay one would be about 25yrs plus on the bottom.