Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mackay bank fish

Ended up I couldnt sleep last night so around 11pm I headed to Mackay for a flick. Stopped off at the harbor first and fished in very chilly conditions for a couple of hours for not even a hit. Around 4 I headed to a spot on the Pioneer I have wanted to fish for ages I just couldnt find it. Armed with a printout from google maps, the gps and and a list of all the roads in the area I headed out to the northern bank near a weir that Al knows well. Went down in the dark and I tell you the track down is something rakey's girlfreind would have had trouble with. Wet Slippery, washouts, weeds across the track ready to trip me up. Real snake country in summer I would reckon. First cast with a 100mm hollow belly was smashed and it felt like a solid hookup and when it broke the surface the first time although I couldnt see it I figured it was a Bazza around 6-700. Came up for a second look and spat the hb, bugger. Nothing much happened up to daylight after that so I decided to move nearer to town but as I was moving the car I noticed another track this one even worse than the first. Walked over to have a look and hmmm whats that on the ground? Scales, quite a few and they were bazza scales from something around the 7-800 mark. Ok back down the hill and yep it was a worse track than the first. I had changed to a Rattling spot and again first cast a big bump. Jease this is alright hey. Second cast nothing, third cast whack and I am on again, dropped this one a few feet from the bank and immediately threw backi into the same back eddy and bang on again. Give this one a bit of drag and it came out of the water and tried to shake the lure off. Nope not a bazza but a giant hearing. Jease they go alright. Threw it back and a few minutes later it was bedlam again but this time a lot more weight and a lot more drag being pulled. Yep a decent Bazza came out of the water and.......spat the bloody lure again. Fished for another hour for no more hits but jease its a likely looking spot amoungst those rapids and rocks. Cant wait to get back up this way in the early summer or opening of the bazza season I reckon the place would go off.
    It was great getting out again as its been a while and to get some good hookups and a few more bumps was great.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

I always enjoy a session in the Pioneer River.....so much territory that is accessible and full of things with or without teeth.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

yep speaking of teeth I thought a bazza was tailing so I cast a lure past it only to realise it was a 2 foot croc. Stood back a bit further from the bank after that in case mum was around. Water was almost fresh up there.
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to see you're settling in Steve,just watch out for the handbags mate.
    Paulo
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snodger View Post
    Ended up I couldnt sleep last night so around 11pm I headed to Mackay for a flick. Stopped off at the harbor first and fished in very chilly conditions for a couple of hours for not even a hit. Around 4 I headed to a spot on the Pioneer I have wanted to fish for ages I just couldnt find it. Armed with a printout from google maps, the gps and and a list of all the roads in the area I headed out to the northern bank near a weir that Al knows well. Went down in the dark and I tell you the track down is something rakey's girlfreind would have had trouble with. Wet Slippery, washouts, weeds across the track ready to trip me up. Real snake country in summer I would reckon. First cast with a 100mm hollow belly was smashed and it felt like a solid hookup and when it broke the surface the first time although I couldnt see it I figured it was a Bazza around 6-700. Came up for a second look and spat the hb, bugger. Nothing much happened up to daylight after that so I decided to move nearer to town but as I was moving the car I noticed another track this one even worse than the first. Walked over to have a look and hmmm whats that on the ground? Scales, quite a few and they were bazza scales from something around the 7-800 mark. Ok back down the hill and yep it was a worse track than the first. I had changed to a Rattling spot and again first cast a big bump. Jease this is alright hey. Second cast nothing, third cast whack and I am on again, dropped this one a few feet from the bank and immediately threw backi into the same back eddy and bang on again. Give this one a bit of drag and it came out of the water and tried to shake the lure off. Nope not a bazza but a giant hearing. Jease they go alright. Threw it back and a few minutes later it was bedlam again but this time a lot more weight and a lot more drag being pulled. Yep a decent Bazza came out of the water and.......spat the bloody lure again. Fished for another hour for no more hits but jease its a likely looking spot amoungst those rapids and rocks. Cant wait to get back up this way in the early summer or opening of the bazza season I reckon the place would go off.
    It was great getting out again as its been a while and to get some good hookups and a few more bumps was great.
    Cheers
    Steve

You talk the talk well steve but no photos of these fish that jump off mmm

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

bit hard to get a pick mid fight lol
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff Steve, enjoy your time up there mate. Are you going to try Kinchant while you are there?

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

You still here Snodge? Would love to go for a fish with you somewhere mate?
    Visit my blog - www.lukesfishinmission.com

Subscribe for FREE to receive updates

Like my page on Facebook www.Facebook.com/LukesFishinMission

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds insane snodgie

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

yer might go there in 2 weeks Luke.
    No worries Lukey. Tried to pm you but your pm box is full lol.
    It was more action that I have had since Lucinda Az, looking forward to coming up here in warmer weather with the galey
    Finally got one

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast