Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: New PB Flatty?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New PB Flatty?

Took the yak out this morning. Glassed out!! Haven’t seen conditions like it for ages it seems. Now the missus said to be home by 9am because I couldn’t possibly miss the kids birthday party of some friends could I??? so I was on the water at 4:30am.

Anyway, tide was still running in but there wasn’t a lot of run in it. I headed to one of my favourite spots in the still dark morning. The stars and sliver of the moon reflected off the water. I just sat there and looked at the reflection for a while it was that beautiful. So, started casting around and working the weed beds and drop off I like to hunt flattys on. There was not action until that first glow of the sun on the horizon. As the sun came up I cast into a likely looking spot and hopped my Gulp 3inch grub along the bottom. As I paused i literally felt through the line my SP get inhaled. It was eerie. A short sharp suck in feeling through the line. I counted to three slowly and firmly struck. Yep... some weight there... but no fight In comes a dead weight that I thought may be a ray. I turned on my headlamp as it got close to the yak and then all hell broke loose as she spotted the yak. This was no ray this was a solid fish caught in about 30cms of water. She went bezerk!! Well after a few minutes taming her on 6lb Nanofil and 8lb leader I got her close again. Went for a net shot and she didn’t like that, off she went tear arsing around the back of the yak and the line got caught around the tiller Now I was trying to stay calm but it wasn’t easy. I backed the drag right off and let her have her head. Luckily she decided to stop and sulk while I dicked around untangling my line. Got that sorted out, worked back in to the yak and put my net under her. As I lifted her in I was pretty sure I had my best Flatty ever based on weight (not that I weigh any of them) She was heavy!!!!

Anyway, the pics below do not do her justice because of the low light. I didn’t want to keep her captive for too long so sacrificed some good pics for her well being. I didn’t have a measure on me but after making some marks on the paddle she went about 84cm I reckon (Just under my PB of 85cm). But she thick and very healthy!!

Had a bit more of a flick around but didn’t have another bump. Home by 9am to write this up, clean up and party with the 8yr olds!!!

Hope you all have a beaut day out there ‘cos it is a corker of a day!!!

3fw.jpg
    3fh2.jpg
    3fh3.jpg
    3fhaf.jpg
    3fh1.jpg
    3sr2.jpg

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done mate, very nice fish

Baz

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done Funch.You must be saying some sweet things to these ladies mate cause they just keep coming back for more & more lol.Well done again mate,well earned.

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

the flatty classic is coming up soon mate, some nice prizes to be won !! nice fish mate

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Yet another good looking fish on the deck Luke.......you certainly have a way with the girls.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done Luke

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a flattie baby making machine. Nice work
    Now, I'm not saying we should invoke capital punishment for Stupidity, but how about we just take all the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Lizard Luke, well done mate!

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a goodn' worth the early start.Hope u didn't eat all the fairy bread.

Pete
    "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you" - Satchel Paige