Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Back in Business.....

G'day all,

I cannot remember the last time that I posted an actual fishing report on here, it's been that long.

A bit sad really but things like selling the boat, changing jobs, hospitals, weddings, moving houses etc, etc, have somehow resulted in the first half of 2013 just absolutely flying by, with next to no fishing being done.

Anyway, I recently bought a little punt and after giving it a quick shakedown run on the water the other day and a full rewire last week, I finally managed to take it out tonight for a bit of an actual fish with my son.

We hit the water just before dark and poked over towards the bridge, ready to catch the turn of the tide. As darness fell and the water slowed, the place came alive with bust ups everywhere on the surface. Our target tonight were the blue salmon that hunt around the bright lights which attract thousands of bait fish. There are usually hordes of them about and they love eating all sorts of plastics, lures and flies. My kids just love fishing here.

I started out tonight throwing some Thready Busters and they seemed to work quite well. We boated plenty of fish, with most of the salmon ranging about the 50-60cm size range. There were plenty of smallish queenies mixed in there as well. Nearly every cast drew at least some sort of strike or bump. All fish were released. Happy days.

One of the larger salmon we caught coughed up a bait fish on the deck. I thought he looked a bit like a large Sammy that I recently bought and tied it on. The salmon were all over it. My son suggested that we put the bait fish out on a hook. This turned out to be a good idea, as 10 minutes later his rod buckled over and the little Penn reel was screaming. It was soon became obvious that this was no little blue salmon he was connected to. After a couple of absolutely screaming runs and a few nervous moments in amongst the pylons, we finally slid the net underneath a nice Thready. To be honest I'm not sure who was the happiest.

Being a school night and all, we decided to call it quits there and then.

Its sure good to be back.......

Cheers,
    Roo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome mate,great report & a good way to blood the boat.The young fella looks absolutely stoked & rightly so with a cracking salmon like that.Well done mate.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to see you back on the water mate. Top effort by your young fella!!! Thanks for sharing

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to see u back into em.

Pete
    "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you" - Satchel Paige

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.

My son was pretty chuffed with himself. At 84cm, it's his biggest Blue thready by far.

He was still talking about the sound of the reel this morning!

Cheers,
    Roo.

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice report Roo and well done to your young fella on the thready.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like an awesome session. The young fella looks rapt well done

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

G'day Roo
    What weight and colour TB were you using?
    I've collected a few of recent times that will get a run in the Towns River in November. I've not used them before so I chose colours based on what I thought I'd like to eat if I was a fish!

And how did you work them?

Good to hear life has settled down after the big move. You might not know, but you are envied by a few of your old work mates!

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Loving salmon ATM. And taste so good with an orange glaze sauce a fresh salad and some chips.
    As with real estate, Fishing is all about Location Location Location

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

I bet it is good to be back Roo, congrat's to your young bloke, nice fish..

Baz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast