Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Its a nice feeling to be back with some solid catches, well done mate.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers fellas.

Rhet,
    I was using the 20gram models in white and white/gold. Pretty much the more natural colours I suppose.

As for the retrieve, I was simply casting out and allowing enough time for the lure to sink maybe a metre or two. Then it was just a matter of a few short twitches, trying to imitate a wounded/scared baitfish. I was fishing around lights and shadows and concentrated mainly along the shadow lines, where the predators haunt. To be honest I haven't really tried them out on barra amongst the snags. A bloke I fished with last year up here hopped them over a rock bar where we could see fish holding on the sounder. He picked up a few barras. I never fished the Towns but if it is like the Roper with a few rock bars, I reckon they would do the trick there as well.

Cheers,
    Roo.

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a few 16's in that colour, I went for the lighter models to try and get a slower sink rate.

The Towns is not really anything like the Roper in that it does have a couple of rock bars but they are very shallow. It's a much skinnier/shallower river. Plenty of drains coming off flats from half low downwards though so I'm intending on using them in the "snag friendly" areas like that.

I've seen the obligatory you tube clips where most "action" is imparted through dead sticking so it's interesting to hear you were using them more like a jerk bait style.

Cheers

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I imagine you will do alright on the drains and such.

I bought some 16's as well for the same reason, however I just went for the heavier ones first last night cause the water was still fairly well ripping past when we arrived. You couldn't let the lure rest in the water too long last night or it would quickly end up amongst one of the pylons.

You towing the boat up or fishing with mates?

Cheers,
    Roo.

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Flying up and heading down with a Katherine local.

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy98 View Post
    Thanks guys.

My son was pretty chuffed with himself. At 84cm, it's his biggest Blue thready by far.

He was still talking about the sound of the reel this morning!

Cheers,
    Roo.
    How good is that! Good stuff, now you'll be getting talked into going fishing all the time, especially school nights.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome Roo, was only thinking the other day that I hadn't seen you on for a bit. Good to see you back on board
    Ben..

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AustralianFish View Post
    Good stuff, now you'll be getting talked into going fishing all the time, especially school nights.
    Hmmm, I'm not too sure about any more school night trips just at the moment. He took a photo of the fish in for show and tell the next day and apparently his teacher wasn't too impressed about our little mid-week outing.

Cheers,
    Roo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12