Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Saturday passage session

Well with a busy few weeks travelling for work and some crappy news coming through I needed a fish. Tony (Mangajack) kindly took up my offer and provided some great company as usual.

Our plan was to hit the passage on daylight Saturday morning and see if we could boat a jewwy, rustle up some whiting on poppers and perhaps score a feed of flattys if possible. We hit the water at 5:30am and cruised down towards Coochin Creek as the sun was coming up. Perfect conditions with a near full tide, no wind and glassy seas. As we pulled up a couple hundred metres from our spot and lowered the leccy to sneak up on ‘em , Tony has a few casts and says “I never do any good here” and then gets whacked by an aggressive lil early season Jack. Good start! We cruised up towards the banks we like to chase the whiting on and Tony boats a bream. It was a fun little bite that as we watched the little bow wave come up behind the lure and then see it engulf his little popper. Alas no whiting so we continued up stream. I scored a luderick on a snag in the middle of the creek. In case you are wondering he was foul hooked

We continued the morning flicking an assortment of lures around. I seemed to be out of practice as I must have landed in trees about 20 times. Only lost one rig if I recall, as I was in luck with my flicks back out of the snags. Tony on the other hand was getting snags of the sub marine types and had the opposite luck with getting them back. He must have retied his leader 20 times.

There were a fair few flattys about (Think I got 10 or 12) but none of any size. The top of the creek was still pretty fresh too. Needs another month or two with no rain me thinks.

We headed back down to the mouth and kept casting the banks for nothing then headed back towards Caloundra but the wind had come up so we looked to head in. As we did we stopped in Bells creek for a quick flick and Tony hooked up to another snag however this one was mobile! After a short tussle with a Ray he pulled the hooks and we headed in.

A great morning on the water and great company. The perfect thing to take my mind off the turmoil of recent times. Thanks Tony!!

4mj.jpg
    4SR.jpg
    4TS.jpg
    4FH2.jpg
    4FH1.jpg
    4FH.jpg
    4L.jpg

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice one boys, there might be a few early jacks around this year if this nice weather keeps up

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done Luke & Tony.A nice morning out flicking lures is the best way to clear the mind mate.So true Dids,i got smoked on Saturday night by one,then seen an even bigger one in the same spot no more than 20mins later.They're movin in early this year fellas.
    Last edited by Micko; 19-08-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report mate, at least you both caught a few to pass the time..

Baz

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report Luke, it was a damn good day to be on the water. Good water, good fun, good company and bloody lousy phone reception what more can a guy want??
    That little luderick you caught would make most brisbanites foam at the mouth to catch was about 38cm or so and solid as.

Gotta agree, three years of heavy floods / flushes has destroyed the baitfish habitat and food sources.......gonna take a while to get the micro organisms in there for the small baitfish and prawns etc to feed on. Hopefully about November it will be good again. Hopefully no more flushes this summer too.

Thanks for a great day on the water again Luke.