Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spaded View Post
    cheers boys.. If you have any questions about chasing them.. Fire away
    I've got one or more, when you say away from the usual spots, what do you mean? Sand flats, up in the brackish or something?

Do you find the GC jacks leader shy at all? What pound line and type (so I know breakage point) do you use on average? And how heavy leader?

Ever tried throwing barra lures around (seriously)?

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey bud, when people think of gold coast jacks , they think it has to be rocky,snaggy, deep, with current ...sure it holds them but it's not the only place you'll find them.. Alot of my jacks latly have come from sandy shallow bottoms canals you"d think was more bream and flathead country ... It blows me away they are here too but there must be a reason .. If theres bait around n a nice home boats hulls/ pontoons/ sea pens A big red could be hiding ..

I've been running 20lb fins for the strength in the color green to hopefully disguise it's self in the water..yesterdays fish was on 20lb leader but also use 30lb a bit .. I've never really tried big barra lures.. I no a few blokes who's favourite lure is the manns 20+

Cheers
    Chris

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Mate just curious.Last season you were getting ripped up repeatedly by these things,what is it that your doing differently this season to be able to stop as many bricking you? Has the way you position your yak changed at all? Cheers mick

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

I think what was happening man was that 20lb cast away I had on kept snapping at the leader knot everytime i hooked a good one, it couldn't handle the locked drag and power behind a jack.. Ever since I've gone to fins I've found it way stronger and can hold up to the pressure... how are they doing you over ?

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Poles lol.Totally understand the knot & line strength issue, just dont know how your stopping them in the yak with the 1.5secs they give you before busting you up? Credit to you for being able to do this too!!

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

damn... I thought you were gonna say poles. Ive been lucky man the last few 50s have come from ones with no pylons (legs holding it up? You no the wire ones ?? I no the feeling bro they leave you stunned when they bust you off so quick.. Are you getting any pups out ?

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

No pups bro.I have alot of respect now for those chasing big fish in yaks.Not easy at all.Thanks mate....talk soon

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

glad you're enjoying your yak man Yeah talk soon bud

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

hey Chris, Have you pulled many (if any) from canal stretches that come to a dead end? or do you find there more there more consistent in stretches that have continuous
    current flow?

cheers, Jason

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jason. caught plenty right up the back Of dead canals

I used to think current was a big factor but not so much anymore ,as long as there's bait n prawns around can be anywhere

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast