Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Salt in the wounds

Went out in the fitzroy on Saturday to try and get a few salmon with a couple of mates that are wanting to get into fishing, new it would be hard with the amount of fresh around but expected to get some sort of result. Did a fair few miles and never had much success. Had one missed hit which felt like a salmon but with my luck lately was probably a catfish, had a decent salmon smack a lure almost off the surface, pull drag and just never hooked up and jumped a barra off that would have been at a guess 800, was a solid thick set fish. Even chucked a few pots out for a feed of crabs and only managed 7 undersized muddies.
    Just as we were about to head back to the ramp seen a bloke chucking a softie around with a surf rod off the bank. He must have just about had the lure out of the water at his feet when he must of thought he was getting taken by a croc, eruption of white water and there was a cracker of a barra on a short leash. This fish got some serious air and was a solid fish, think it was just shy of the meter but definitely made me go home with my tail between my legs.

Can only go up from here I hope, but haven't doughnuted like that for a while. Hope others had a bit more of a successful weekend.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

The rain has eased off now up here, so I dropped the boat in late last night for a few hours to go chase a barra.

I also had a very quiet night. Boated one fish that went 68cm but other than that not a thing. Not even another strike.

Cheers,
    Roo.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

No good mate but I know the feeling.
    Baz

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta happen sometimes, still good to get out baz.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Roo how is the wet season going up there?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, the Wet this year has been a bit funny.

We had some decent rain back in November and people then were talking of a "Big Wet" but then it sort of totally fizzled out in December. Luckily the cyclones over West have bought good rain in Jan-Feb (1343mm according to one weather site, which is well above average). It's still storming pretty much each day at the moment but nothing like earlier this month.

Last I heard the water was still a couple of metres over at the Archer crossing.

Cheers,
    Roo.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a decent wet with a rainfall total like that, we have had a total of around that 150-175mm down my way. Hopefully the barra fishing fires for you soon.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like my luck lately. The rain has been patchy here. Cairns had 30 odd Saturday and we had 123 in 1.5 hours. The blokes are getting excited about Normanton in April but Burketown looks better to me. Hopefully the flood in the Norman has been enough for them to get a few.