Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 men 4 PB's and and entry to an elite club

Well AAers, as we all know, the wind has been blowing which has been keeping boats in the shed lately, I'm on time off and fish won't catch them them selves, so me and a good mate pulled the 20 to 25 knot forecast on and chanced our luck to chase some barra and salmon.

So we get on to the river at first light with a positive attitude and our first tide did not disappoint. With a half dozen nice bream giving us a bit of form before our first good hookup, A good little battle fish one hits the net, just a little tacker at 610. Not too much longer and my buddy on his 4th trip targeting barra with zero luck lately boats his first barra, a ripping little 650mm version.

A little bit of a quiet period before a hookup each on mid size barra, which both won their freedom, very next cast for buddy Keith hooks a good fish, this no barra but, A hard fight around some gnarly country had us thinking jack, so it's advantage Keith when up to the net comes another pb no 2 for him, a 45cm bream and every bit of 1.5 kilo, I was the next o hook up with a 55cm rat barra,

Kieth gets next hook up of a nice one but gets rubbed off after an awesome surface display, in close to the mangroves, With about a foot of leader left his left to tie a couple of knots, Next hook up is mine with a tiny little bump and good weight, the fish runs right at the boat, I kept up with her before she turned and come to surface, her head looked big but when she hit the nos button and launched out of the creek reviewed her true size,, at this stage I give a quick thought to my 6 pound braid and an 8 pound leader, I hear in my ear, "you got a bit on here gipsy". Thinking I would have been rubbed off by know if she had it deep, and with a bit of luck and some patience what ever goes down, seeing her jump full clear of the water was good enough for me. So after about 20 minutes I guess, I had her near the boat, My net man was shaking at the knees, As was I to be honest, She hits the net,

I put put a lip grip in the mouth and put her back in the water give her a good swimming give it the best chance to survive, Pulled her out for a few photos and a measure, This was my first metre fish and easy cracks that. She went 109 on the mat, give her another good swimming and with a good strong kick swims back out of sight, A few yahoos and an obligatory shotgun of a 3.5 can, a few hand shakes, we get back to it, Sadly this was the last fish for about 6 hours, where the last rays of afternoon sun give me another rat,

Next morning is is here and few casts in Keith hooks up and jumped another one off, he's proper out of luck cos he hooks up again and makes it stick this time. A good deep tussle and fast strong runs, when line starts coming up, his first thread fin shoots from the creek like a missile, as it hit the water a grubby 6 foot bullshark swipes two thirds of his salmon.. Estimate he was maybe 90 odd I'd say,

My my next hookup is another good fish, we call mid 80s, and this one fights awesome, Some breathtaking jumping in tight to mangroves, a good run out to the deep and some more jumping about, I get him to the boat, and put him on the mat and went a cracking 940mm, with a grin on my face the same length. I celebrated with another Icey cold 3.5 tin.

Well ill my little report is dragging on so the trip ended up with a 59/61/65 which were executed for the BBQ, a 109 and a 94' and two rats 55 and 57'. Was a great trip some great fish, we probably boated 35 fish maybe most of them good bream, most around 30cm, Few flats, tarpon, some river Jew, 3 cracking mud crabs. And two hangovers each,

Thanks for for reading guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    As with real estate, Fishing is all about Location Location Location

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Some beaut fish there mate. What a session!

Cheers,
    Roo.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Onya Gippsy, cracker fish mate. Congrats on the PB's. Gotta love it when a plan comes together
    Cheers
    Gazza

IF MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, THEN POLITICIANS MUST BE FROM URANUS

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

That big barra is a corker mate, well done. Some good fish there
    Fishing Fishing Fishing. I like Fishing

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Ment to add this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Love ya work Gippa, top pics of some magic fish.

Paulo
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

What a trip, that's just awesome

Sailfish
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work Gippsy.
    Previously known as Pointyfish.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome fishing mate
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers guys. Was a good time, a quick story can't describe some of the sights that we had, Some of the fish we lost in such spectacular fashion, that I can't describe , you had to see with your own eyes. It's such a thrill fishing for big fish with such light gear, Many kudōs's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast