Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default One of those days

I woke up late (6am) on Sunday and decided the weather was too good to just lay about doing nothing so I started to prepare everything for a yak session in some of my usual spots. I was out on the water in my spot at 7:45 with the last couple of hours left in the run out tide. There was a light westerly blowing and the tide was running out east to west so I was being held in place nicely, no need to worry about anchors and such so I was free to concentrate on hitting my target with each cast. I was targeting a weed bed that had a nearby drop off. I had the usual 6lb braid, 8lb fluorocarbon leader 1/12th oz jighead on a fine gauge hook. The gulp 4inch curl tail grub in banana prawn seemed the most effective of late. I had fished the same spot twice the previous week after work and had really struggled to get fish consistently since we had a good downpour. Today turned out different.

Second cast and I was on to a fish. Short tussle an in comes a 43cm flat one. Into the keeper net he went as I was out of fish and my young bloke is staying for school holidays and loves a feed of fish. A few minutes later and I was on again, this one 46cms.
    This was followed by a procession of flattys in the low forties that I returned to the deep.

17FHIW.jpg
    FHOMH.jpg

Then a nice 48cm model succumbed to my Gulp and he was deep hooked. I could feel the leader wearing on his gob as he put up a good fight in the shallows. He too went in the keeper net as he was not going to fair well with me trying to remove it.

17FHGREEDY.jpg

I continued to flick placcies about and scored more mid forties fish but had decided to let them all go. I had a sleeper rig out the back loaded with a 4inch Gulp minnow in smelt that started to loose line at a rate of knots. After a bit of fun a 51cm lizard hit the net. Another keeper. Looks like the boy and I will get a few feeds with 4 in the bag.

17FHOY.jpg

At the bottom of the tide I felt the familiar tic you get from a flatty bite, I paused and struck lost a little line as the fish ran then nothing…. Bugger…. But I am now in the habit of just stopping and leaving the placcy rest in the hope that the fish will return… I left it for about 15 seconds and went to lift my rod tip to see if I was on again when I see my line just flying back past me at an astonishing speed. The drag started whizzing and I lost about 20 meters of line quickly, then, nothing. I suspect what ever it was had grabbed to placcy by the tail.

When the tide turned so too did the wind with a northerly springing up. This shut everything down and I didn’t get another fish after that for the next 2 hours. A nice morning on the water with 14 flattys caught with 4 kept for the table.

17FHOBM.jpg

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Some nice flathead there funchy better than we did on the other side of bribie

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robersl View Post
    Some nice flathead there funchy better than we did on the other side of bribie
    Cheers Shane, yeah after a really good run just before all this rain I was beating them off with a stick. We had the rain and I had no decent fish for my next two outings

It was good to get onto them again

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

You must speak flathead. Thumbs up funchy
    As with real estate, Fishing is all about Location Location Location

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

love your work mate! some flatty hole you have there
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Good fishin Funchy.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Funch,the flathead whisperer strikes again.

Paulo
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice one mate...and great pics...better than what i was up to
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done Luke. Sounds like a good morning on the water.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice morning's fishing mate, good one..

Baz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast