Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wire

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wire

Yair . . . Hello folks, I'm new around here and just getting back into fishing after years of being too busy.

We put in a lot of years in the Gulf based out of Karumba and I suppose I m pretty spoilt on Barra.

I was gearing up in Gladstone and mentioned to the bloke in the tackle shop I needed a spool of forty pound flex- wire, crimps and a set of crimping pliers.

He seemed shocked and amazed and reckoned you won't catch much on wire down her in civilisation.

So what's the go, can the fish down here detect difference between wire and mono leader?

Any insights would be appreciated as I have never fished without a least 300mm of wire.

Cheers.

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't need wire around these parts. l use just mono as my trace
    "For some people in our society, retirement is a tragedy. It's the end of their being productive and contributing something. We need productivity from everyone who is capable of contributing. Fishing is my vehicle, and I plan to keep going as long as I'm physically able."

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Fishing for what? I use wire for macs and hoo but not much else. Did catch a red emperor on wire though once
    Now, I'm not saying we should invoke capital punishment for Stupidity, but how about we just take all the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Yair . . .

Don't need wire around these parts. l use just mono as my trace
    Gotcha Awoonga.

That's the part I don't understand. Why don't you need wire . . . same fish, Barra, Threadfin even Flatties I have always used flex-wire with crimps.

I am just curious as to if hook up rates are any different . . . why wouldn't you use wire other wise?

I have see a lot of fish (particularly Threadfin) lost to worn through mono leader.

I would rather miss out on a few hook ups but then, when the good fish comes along it is comforting to know you have wire where it matters.

Cheers.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrub puller View Post
    Yair . . .

Gotcha Awoonga.

That's the part I don't understand. Why don't you need wire . . . same fish, Barra, Threadfin even Flatties I have always used flex-wire with crimps.

I am just curious as to if hook up rates are any different . . . why wouldn't you use wire other wise?

I have see a lot of fish (particularly Threadfin) lost to worn through mono leader.

I would rather miss out on a few hook ups but then, when the good fish comes along it is comforting to know you have wire where it matters.

Cheers.
    g'day scrub puller and welcome to the site

I prefer to give myself the best chance of getting the fish to bite and then it's all sport and angling from there. I use 8lb leader and have landed plenty of big flattys (best is 92cms) when I fish for bigger stuff I will go up to 20lb or ever 40lb if it's out off 1770 on the reefs

Good luck mate and look forward to seeing some of your reports catching some big ones
    Last edited by Funchy; 05-10-2014 at 11:54 AM.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Yair . . . Gotcha Funchy. I hear you. I guess we look at things different. (big grin)

I fish to catch a feed and when a big lump of angry protein latches on I like to give myself the best chance to land it.

Don't get me wrong I only take what I need.

I don't get out very often and catch and release always seems to me to be pointless.

I refuse to submit to the guilt trip thing at the ramp as a few folks have found out . . . it seems these days a bloke can cop some snide remarks for even bagging out on Flathead.

Cheers.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrub puller View Post
    Yair . . . Gotcha Funchy. I hear you. I guess we look at things different. (big grin)

I fish to catch a feed and when a big lump of angry protein latches on I like to give myself the best chance to land it.

Don't get me wrong I only take what I need.

I don't get out very often and catch and release always seems to me to be pointless.

I refuse to submit to the guilt trip thing at the ramp as a few folks have found out . . . it seems these days a bloke can cop some snide remarks for even bagging out on Flathead.

Cheers.
    Yep I hear you. I love taking a feed and will usually keep a few flat ones for dinner. My view is if it is legal then you shouldnt cop any crap for it so go for it mate and ignore the knockers.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep used to use wire years ago in the NT.
    However good leader or mono is the way to go.
    Unless its outside with toothies.
    Fish for the future! Fish for your Grandchildren.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

I reckon they could detect wire in reasonable water. With there eyes

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

I use wire for macks normally but when in clear water with smaller macs, using mono leader usually a better way to get them to bite. It does make a difference. I was bought up using a short wire (150mm) for flattys but don't usually use one when I get the chance to fish for them now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast