Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1770 family fun with a twist

The girls and I had a trip planned to 1770 for some time to visit good family friends (12volt). On Christmas eve my ute started billowing smoke and had dropped a bit of power. I couldn't get it into a mechanic as they were all at xmas parties. I spent xmas day agonising over whether or not to drive it up. I decided at the last minute to play it safe and not risk potential damage. By noon boxing day I was freaking out and so were the girls so Google came to the rescue when I found a mobile mechanic who would take a look at it. After a looking over the car he concluded it was a minor fix and no damage could be done if I drove it so we bundled up in the car, hooked up the boat and set off. My mates face when we arrived was gold after we had informed him we would not be able to make it. It was late and we headed to bed for there was fishing and water sports to be had the next day.

We awoke reasonably early and had some brekky, loaded up the tinnies and set off for some trolling out the front. We completed a few circuits for no result so decided on chasing some jacks up the creek. This yielded no fish action so we went for a swim and grabbed some lunch. Then it was on the the tow tube for some more fun. We were home by 3:30 and kids were exhausted. Mission accomplished. My mate and I hastily loaded up the tinny again for a night session chasing jacks

We left the ramp at 5pm, had enough livies in the bait tank after 3 casts of the net and were in position shortly after. Out went a crab pot and we waited for the action to start. I had my favourite flatty rod with me with the 6lb on it and decided to have a quick plastic flick before the sun went down. 1st cast and it snapped!!! I can only assume through over use as it has landed so many of the flattys I have caught over the last 3 years. I took the 6lb reel off the rod and threw it onto my 4-8kg broom stick and had a flick anyway. I landed a flatty, a cod and a grunter before deciding to rig up the havier gear. I changed the reel back to my 3000 Symetre loaded with 30lb SAS braid and 25lb leader rigged up with a weedles hook. To this I attached various stinky peices of dead sea creatures! Prawns, mullet and herrings were all offered up and all were taken. Black bream and grunter regularly crossed the deck as the sun sank below the horizon and the tide dropped. Interestingly I was catching all the fish. My mate sitting right beside me with the same set up landed a catty, a tiny cod and an undersize muddy all night. I ended up with about 8 grunter, 5 bream, a flatty and my first barra since I was a little kid. It went 82cms!

We quickly got some pics and back it went to swim away. Not long after I got the barra I had line screaming off a pretty tight drag with what we suspect was a shark of some sort. We stayed till 11:15pm and then headed for home. A pretty good day in the end

141227Agnes (12).jpg

141227Agnes (9).jpg

141227Agnes (4).jpg

141227Agnes (2).jpg

141227Agnes (20).jpg

141227Agnes (14).jpg

141227Agnes (32).jpg

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Good start funchy, Deserve a good break after ute problems to kick of your trip.
    As with real estate, Fishing is all about Location Location Location

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

nice fish funchy nice spot up that way

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad it all worked out for you in the end mate,nice Barra as well.

Baz

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff Funchy
    Finally got one

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Cracker of a barra mate, looks a nice area to spend a few days. Good to hear the ute wasn't as big a problem as first thought
    Fishing Fishing Fishing. I like Fishing

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Brakes, engine......might be time for a newbie..

Good going o the fish side..
    someone told me the other day that there are more important thing's in life than fishing, to which i replied..... what?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Family, friends and fish.
    Got all the ingredients of a great holiday to me.
    Good work mate.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good one Funchy.. but where's the flatties?
    Ben..

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome spot, bloody nice barra to boot
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"