Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mooloolaba River.

Went out and had a short paddle at Mooloolaba River. Ive always used lures from the yak... Decided to have a relaxing fish and soak some bait... using the old prawns i got from the local baitshop. So used the yak anchor and setup. The fishing was pretty hot.. except for the fact i got busted off too many times to count..the gear i was using just wasn't up to the task.. im sure the fellas on the bank were having a good laugh between bitching about me getting bites lol. Wide variety of fish did surface with bream. Tarwhine. Fingermark and a stonking big toadfish.. when it was time to up Anchor i went to pull myself free but I was wedged and the current was rushing so fast it was nearly pulling the side of the yak under water... ended up having to cut it off or risk sinking frown emoticon

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Tim. Been using a bit of stink bait myself the last week. Shame about the anchor tho mate.
    Finally got one

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish mate! Those little moses perch seem to be popping up a lot in reports of late!

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a enjoyable day out even if you got dusted by a few better fish and what a bugger about the anchor.

I'm happy to be wrong there Tim but could that be a Black-Spot Snapper Lutjanus fulviflamma rather than a Moses Perch. As I said happy to be wrong,

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Blackfish, I reckon you might be spot on... after looking into it a bit more.. the colours and markings sure do match... so i'll go with you on this one..

Yeah, pretty bummed about the anchor... its one that Mangajack made and gave to me... im going to look into other ways of anchoring up... because i know the fish are there... but the current was insanely strong... i seriously got worried about sinking the kayak when trying to up anchor... the current side on pulled the side of the yak down... just no way to bust free so had to cut ship... ive even thought about tieing off to a navigation pole... but i think when it came to freeing myself i'd still have that issue of dealing with side current...

Tim

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there Tim,Tying to a navigation pole my cost you a fine,as it is illegal in a lot of areas.Have you tried tripping your anchor with a lighter cord or cable ties.You will then be able to break the trip and pull the anchor out backwards.You will need to experiment a little to find the correct strength trip that you are able to break,but which will still hold you in the current.Losing an an anchor seems to be fashionable.I also lost one a couple of weeks back,plus a few metres of chain and about 30m of rope when my rope snapped
    Cheers, Mick
    aspire to inspire before you expire

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

At the end of the day Tim, better safe than going A over T and you ending up in the drink.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a look at the cooper kayak anchor Tim. It has a tear away zip tie when it gets stuck so the anchor comes up from the bottom and releases from the snag.
    http://cooperanchors.com.au/
    Finally got one

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Had the same issue on occasion with anchoring in the yak mate, I found that a quick release setup works well with a carabiner or if you use an anchor trolley some sort of clip, I wound my anchor rope around an old thong that floated so when I released the anchor to chase a fish etc I could just paddle back and pick it up and clip it back on

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snodger View Post
    Have a look at the cooper kayak anchor Tim. It has a tear away zip tie when it gets stuck so the anchor comes up from the bottom and releases from the snag.
    http://cooperanchors.com.au/
    i use one to good effect. Also Tim sounds pretty rocky, why not make a kayak strength reef pick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast