Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tasty mixed bag.

Went out today with a couple of mates that are occasional/casual fishos. Usually we hire a boat. Pack the esky. Soak a few stinky prawns and talk shit for the day.
    Today we'd agreed to give it a crack fishing lures around the outer harbour looking for a feed for us plus the partners.
    But also a way to show the boys a few new techniques and trya bunch of things.
    Started off chasing surface feeding schools (probably mostly salmon) for a lone tailor which spewed up a bunch of fry about an inch or so. Nothing seemed keen to eat.
    Went and micro jigged a couple of deep schools for one hit and no result...
    Found some kelp beds and one mate got a honking kilo plus squid. Not a bad first! I got a Couple of very tasty leather jacket working deeper edges.
    Then we switched to plastics and continued picking up a mixed bag through the morning.
    Flathead, flounder, bream and trevally all came on the z-mans. Mostly streakz. A couple on slim swimz. Whitebait kind of colour was the stand out. Can't think of the name.
    Highlight for me was definitely a new PB
    IMG-20150530-WA0004.jpg
    54cm silver trevally on the light stuff that played up a bit.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh... And a bloody long tom. In Sydney in winter... Bizarre!

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice going Ducky, a day on the water with mates, catching a feed. Dosn't get much better than that.

Something else Iv'e never seen before, an electric on a hire boat. Is that common these days or just that operator. Smart move I reckon.
    Cheers
    Gazza

IF MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, THEN POLITICIANS MUST BE FROM URANUS

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Onya Ducksta. What pound line did you land the Trev on mate? They do go hard on the silly string

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

I was fishing 5lb.
    TB we normally use Boab boats. An electric is a bit extra. I'm not sure how widespread it is to have them since one of the guys joined boab we've never looked to hire from anyone else.
    Yesterday we were on a guides boat though. Went out with Sydney Sport Fishing. A half day is roughly the same as hiring the boab with all electronics for the full day. But obviously the guide was good value.
    I don't know if the boys are completely converted off of baits but they seemed to enjoy it and learnt a bunch.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

nice work duck ,I think getting a guide when time is short is a brilliant idea gets you to the fish quicker and it shows you a few spots for your next solo session lol
    the world is a lot better place if you just smile

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely Al.
    Especially with the 2 guys who have never caught on lures before it was more than worth it I think.
    Next time we hire a boat now I'm sure they will be flick zmans again. Or at least put some new ideas in to where we run our drifts - even if we do go back to some bait.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Bit of a better pic -not from a phone this one.
    He lit up a bit, too.
    trev2.jpg