Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Karumba

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Karumba

Couple of pix from Karumba trip last week.

Shows that you really do need to keep an eye out around you in any waters north of Gladstone.

From left top: 2.5metres, 3metres (on mudbank behind crabbers left hand) and 4 metres +. The last one was a really big bugger.

Photos taken with a mobile phone.

Only a few crocs in downstream Norman River but every creek tributary had 2 or 3 residents.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Great post and top advice Douglas.

Paulo
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Go upstream 120km or over to the Bynoe and they are just as big there.
    And some friends were putting in a crab pot near this bank on the Nassau - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWLhF53D0hQ

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

The Nassau croc is a hefty fella.

I only saw 1 big one at Karumba with mostly smaller ones( to 3.5m) in the town reach.

Anything over 4m is big to me.

Have seen 4 genuine 5 metre ones. 1 in the downstream Roper, 1 in the Daly and 2 at John Lever's croc farm in CQ.

I know there are 2 big ones near the Norman R and Walkers Ck junction.

You expect to come across them in those places but its the ones in waters you are familiar with which are the most risky.

A couple of months ago I found myself on a isolated Fitzroy R boat ramp, on sunset, cleaning fish near the water with my back to the river. Enough ingredients for an attack were in place. I couldn't believe I had broken so many "never do these things" rules because I thought the fishing trip was over and relaxed too early.

The night belongs to the crocodile.

About 5 years ago I could go to about 6 places in the saltwater part of the Fitzroy R where I count on coming across crocs ranging from 3 - 4 metres.

Now there are about 12 or more places with a 4.5m one happily occupying a 1km stretch of the upstream freshwater section.

Ya just never know.

If its wet its probably got a croc in it.