Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

AWESOME NEWS FOR QLD Rec Fishers !!!

Net-free fishing zones for Central and North Queensland

Today, The Queensland Government will deliver on its election commitment and move ahead on the implementation of three net-free fishing zones in Queensland before the end of the year.

Agriculture and Fisheries Minister Bill Byrne said Cabinet had considered the feedback from more than 6,300 public submissions received during the recent consultation process.

“Ninety per cent of submissions were in favour of introducing net-free zones,” Minister Byrne said.
    “The net free zones will offer benefits in tourism and recreational fishing in Queensland and I am excited about the opportunities these zones will have directly on the communities along the boundaries.

“As the Minister for Fisheries I am proud to be leading the reform of fisheries management that has been talked about over the years but never progressed.

“The implementation of the net free zones is a key initiative in Queensland’s commitment to the Reef2050 Plan and today we stand by our promise.”

Minister Byrne said the Government understood the commercial fishing industry is concerned about the fisheries reform agenda, and in particular the introduction of net-free zones, but reform is an election commitment and the Queensland Government is committed to seeing it through.

As a result of all the feedback received throughout the consultation process there have been some adjustments to the boundaries originally proposed.

“At Seaforth the boundary of the zone has been amended slightly to align with the local dugong protection area,” Minister Byrne said.
    “The boundary for the Capricorn Coast zone has also been altered to reduce the overall size of the area while still including the waters of Keppel Bay and the Fitzroy River.”

Minister Byrne said there was significant public support for the introduction of the zones and this is the first step in ensuring that Queensland takes advantage of the tourism potential of fishery resources.

“Ten million dollars has been set aside to help the commercial net fishing industry adjust to the introduction of the three zones and we’ll use some of that money to buyback licences from fishers who want to transition out of the industry.

“The Department of Agriculture and Fisheries is writing to each netting licence holder and fishers who worked on those licences to advise them of the details around the settlement and buyback schemes and offering to meet with them individually to explain what it means for them.”

The final maps for the net-free areas are available @ https://publications.qld.gov.au/data...-in-queensland

Now the focus will be on our Great Sandy Marine Park !

Regards Scotto
    So Many Fish - So little time !

I Proudly support the following companies: Shimano, G.Loomis, The Haines Group, Scientific Anglers, Abel Reels, Lowrance

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

There's been quite a bit of movement since the statement on Friday morning. I won't bore you with the details of our (CQ) NFA.

I will however put any of you from SE Qld across a development with the Moreton Bay NFA.

A LNP pollie in SE Qld is now saying that a Moreton Bay NFA isn't such a bad idea and that he's done something about it.

We'll test just how serious he is and if the approach is in fact a back-door signal by the LNP parliamentary machine.

This is here I've left him. Let the LNP demonstrate it bonafides.
    Hello Mark

Glad to hear about the Moreton Bay issue. You are aware that Moreton Bay was to be "first cab off the rank" (funding permitting) in the ALP election campaign, I'm sure.

It seems that the LNP has finally become aware of the significance of the recreational fishing industry in Qld. Took a while

I'm happy to talk further with the people I know in the SE corner about Moreton Bay NFA who are keenly watching the CQ NFA.

However, I'd like to reserve any offers that I'll make until after the outcome of the CQ NFA when it receives the Governor In Council response.

If there's a notice of disallowance tabled by the opposition in the 10 working days period the I'll know that the LNP is being disingenuous. There should be no disallowance motion as it will simply create more pain and uncertainty among the affected families.

If no notice is tabled then I'll accept your position, withdraw my reservation and offer assistance.

I might even change my mind about joining the greenies!! ( I never ever thought I'd consider the bloody greenies but am now considering it out of desperation).

regards

I dont expect a response as I think he's got a lot of talking to do within the LNP. Lets see if a notice of motion is indeed tabled.

Yellowfin Tuna
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, how did we all go at last night's scheduled meeting in Brisbane for people with an interest in a NFA for Moreton Bay?

Douglas

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Nets Out Queensland

At 2:47PM yesterday LNP gave notice of motion for disallowance of the regulatory amendment that would have seen the provisions for the Net Free Areas included in the Fisheries Act.

This means that current members of Queensland Parliament will now have to vote either for or against the motion in the coming days to weeks.
    Labor needed to form a minority government, so this is potentially very serious and puts the Net Free Areas at risk even with Labor keeping its promises.

If you want recreational fishers interests taken seriously and want these areas to go ahead THE TIME FOR COMPLACENCY IS OVER!!!!

If you thought that it was all going to simply sail through then THE TIME FOR INACTION IS OVER!!!!

You can help by:

1. Signing the e-petition that supports the proposed Net Free Areas at:http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/wor.../…/e-petition…

2. Getting Friends and Loved ones to sign the petition:http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/wor.../…/e-petition…

3. Sending an email to your friends who fish (particularly those who are not on facebook) bringing the issue to their attention and urging them to sign the petition:http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/wor.../…/e-petition…

4. Lobbying your Queensland local member (http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/members/current/list) and telling them how serious this issue is to you and how the outcome will impact the way you vote. Better still, if you know them well - give them a call and let them know how important this is to you.

5. Taking your mobile or tablet to a friend's place who doesn't have access to the internet, but loves fishing and helping them to sign the petition.
    That's all for our recreational fishing friends for the moment!

If you are spying on this page because you are a commercial fisher, or are mates with a commercial fisher, who is being offered the compensation package - that's OK. However if you are secretly happy with the voluntary offer that was made to you, then you better start making some noise, because the compensation was linked to the same regulation the LNP is trying to disallow!

Don't believe us? See for yourself. Look at: http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LE...15/15SL125.pdf

If it is rejected the compensation offer is also off the table. For example, as we understand it, an affected fisher is set to potentially get $500 per day for average of days fished + $18,000 for surrender of their commercial fishing boat licence + $90,000 for surrender of their N2 + $36,000 for surrender of their C1 + $12,000 for surrender of their L2).

Labor is unlikely to run with this offer again if it doesn't get through this round - time to do something!

I Proudly support the following companies: Shimano, G.Loomis, The Haines Group, Scientific Anglers, Abel Reels, Lowrance

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Time to send an email with your secret fishing tip to your fishing mates in Queensland!

Copy and paste the information in the webpage below or download the supplied document and copy the detail into an email and send it on to all of your fishing mates (particularly those not on Facebook) today !

http://netsoutqld.org/secret-fishing-tip/

We NEED EVERY Rec angler in our State to sign this petition TODAY via the link below - it will only take a minute :-

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/wor...on?PetNum=2405

If we want to see our Great Sandy Marine Park "Corrected in-line with next years full term review we want these Net Free Areas to our North to go through ......

Regards Scotto

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234