Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default unexpected visitor

After several months without wetting a line,the opportunity arose yesterday to finally put the boat in the water.Rather than a serious fishing session,the aim was to give the boat a run and hopefully to be able to give Di some fun catching a few salmon on light gear.With a rising tide on daylight,conditions looked good for salmon in Swansea channel.
    As I was positioning the boat in preparation of setting the anchor,Di said that there was a seal on the rocks of the breakwall.I turned around and on seeing a number of fishermen after blackfish I told her not to be silly,it is only a fisherman.Di insisted that she had seen it climb out of the water,so to humour her I drove the boat over for a closer look.
    Sure enough,there was a seal sitting on the rocks and the closest fishermen were in the process of moving their gear further up the wall.

I made the comment that this would put an end to their morning fishing.However after moving their gear ,the fishermen returned to their task and the seal settled in for a sunbake,both parties completely at ease.

When I passed by again an hour later, The seal appeared to be asleep and the fishermen were still catching blackfish.
    We didn't manage a single fish but it was still great to be back out on the boat.
    aspire to inspire before you expire

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

there might have been a big bitey cruising around mick ,that was his best safe haven ,big seal too .good to see you out on water again,i have put around 25 hrs on boat since been home lol
    the world is a lot better place if you just smile

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good photo Mick.
    I see them more and more in Sydney these days, mind you not crawling up a Break Wall though.
    We were out from the Harbour on Sunday and there was one at North Head just floating around with his fins up in the air resting in the water.