Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help - Trying to get my son his first saltwater fish - Maroochydore

I know this is always asked, but would appreciate some advice on the most likely way to put my 10 year old young fella onto a fish or two at Maroochydore. He has caught Murray cod, bass, yellabelly, Saratoga so he can cast a lure quite well, but he has never caught anything in the salt. If anyone could suggest his best chance of catching something that would be great. Unfortunately we will be land based but will have every lure you could imagine that he can throw. He is mad keen so I hope someone can help us out.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Gday... am a maroochy local so can probably help you out... firstly.. where are you fishing landbased? Landbased spots I'd suggest are... banks along the boatramp at Fishermans Road, Bank along the waterfront hotel near the road, oyster bank road.. has a rockwall and a bit further down, sand flats that will allow you to fish easily for good flathead, chambers island... I wouldnt bother any closer to the mouth.. water is just too clear during the day...

At the moment.. due to lack of decent rains.. fish are working up river a bit more.. taking advantage of the good bait lurking out of normal reaches... as for bait.. the jelly prawns are coming in thick so thats what the fish are chasing, your going to be want to be using natural coloured lures that imitate the prawns... lately for me, the go to plastic has been the Atomic Plazo's.. the Prongs in Motoroil colour... just wack them out as far as you can.. and using a slow retrieve... slowly wind in with the odd twitch or 2 chucked in... also the Squidgy Wild Prawns in cracked pepper... your going to be wanting to use light jigheads.. light as possible because prawns dont sink like a brick... so remember that when rigging up..

hope that helps

Tim

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tim,

I really appreciate the help, will put up some photos if we have any luck!

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to those that replied with advice, unfortunately in spite of a couple of 4am starts and throwing his arm off Liam couldn't manage to catch a scale. Never mind it was good to give it a try, next time we will bring the boat and hopefully have better luck.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hbbe919 View Post
    Thanks to those that replied with advice, unfortunately in spite of a couple of 4am starts and throwing his arm off Liam couldn't manage to catch a scale. Never mind it was good to give it a try, next time we will bring the boat and hopefully have better luck.
    Unlucky mate, spose thats why they call it fishing and not catching

Let us know if you are headed this way again