Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with Mackay

Okay we've been here nearly 3 weeks, winds blown it's arse off and all we've caught is Estuary Cod. We've fished most of the known land based places with not one hit, other than Cod. I'm hoping it's just the wind making it hard. We here there's Barra and Jacks being caught????
    buggered if I know where. Anybody around Mackay want to give me any tips??? Or maybe even catch up for a fish. My 12 year old is dying to get a Barra or Jack.

dave

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Geez mate that sux

Hope someone can help you out mate

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Dave a lot of the boys are currently fishing at Kinchant for the next week may pay to go for a drive out there and introduce yourself one boat has the name endevour on it look for a ranger and a pietruck on legs with a couple of gazebos ect some may even have glue and yellow active angler shirts or buffs on

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Salty contact Lukey Galea on his fb page. He could probably point you in the right direction. https://www.facebook.com/luke.galea.927?fref=ts
    Also there is the mouth of Barker creek, the pioneer river there is some tracks down to the rocks off maraju-yakapari rd. be careful of snakes there. Long trousers and boots for walking down the tracks. Also the town bridge on the nth western side of it there is an island and when the tide flows out some great eddies there. You can cast off the rocks at the end of the bridge and get live hearing from the center of the bridge with a jig.
    Finally got one

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks mate. Yep, have fished those spots you've mentioned. I'm pretty sure 20knt plus winds every day hasn't helped either. Like most fishing, persistence will be the key.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

yer the wind was a killer when we were at kinchant and just came back from rocky where we only got outside 2 days in 2 weeks
    Finally got one

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Went out to kinchant this morning and met a few of the boys. Looks a great spot and really got the juices flowing for my son and I. Have I mentioned thus bloody wind!!!!!!!!

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Right behind Macca's on the northside of the river 1/2 tide going down....work it and work it and work it again....thats where you will pull a barra or two.

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mangajack View Post
    Right behind Macca's on the northside of the river 1/2 tide going down....work it and work it and work it again....thats where you will pull a barra or two.

Yep thanks for that. Fished there Friday arvo on the run out tide. Nothing there, but did lose 2 Zmans!!!!
    Must say it looks a great spot, but think wind was just too much. We were only ones there so dare say local guns thought the same. We fished along creek adjacent Illawong Resort with no luck yesterday arvo. We thought it would be out of wind there a bit and it was better conditions but still nothing other then a couple of Cudda's following in every know and then.
    like I said. We'll just keep fishing and some sooner or later something will click hopefully

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Wind should be down Friday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast