Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice day out,

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nice day out,

Had a spare day and a half up my sleeve so went for a run to see if I could get a feed before the Barra season shuts down, Goes like this.

Get on on the water about 5.30 after an early moonlight run up the high way, Water was super glassy just about the top of the tide, I met a mate at the boat ramp, who has been harassing me to take him fishing, to run him through the soft plastic phenomenon, Finally our rosters align,so fishin it was,

Fishing could not not have started any better when on my second I get a solid hook up with some blistering runs and a 10 minute battle on the 8 pound braid, a cracking thread fin emerges next to the boat, the net slid under him, A good specimen too, layed out on the mat his numbers were 105cm, usually big ones get let go, but it's been a fair while since I've eaten a salmon so this one was heading to the esky,

the he next little bit provided some undesirables, along with a couple of nice flathead, some good bream, few small grunter and getting rubbed off by anothe smaller thread fin about 70 odd not far from the net.

The bottom of the tide and warm northerlys feeding what turned out to be an afternoon hail storm, we were pretty confident of a jack, so moved to a little outcrop of rocks in about 10 foot of water, 20 minutes of casting, an almighty whack on my 3inch prawn, with a fair bit of talent on my behalf, (and by talent I mean a fair bit of luck) I steered himinto some open water testing my 10 pound leader to its limits, he tried hard to get back to the rocks even while next to the boat, we ended getting a net under him. The fattest MJ I've seen in a long time. At 53cm he was a welcome demon into my boat.

We we chased jacks for the next couple of hours for one beating and my decky getting a little tracker about 30cm. Needless to say he's addicted to softies by this stage, By now the Lightning is far to close for my liking, with the green hail filled clouds rolling in boat on the trailer and my truck under cover, we got out again after the storm but was pretty quiet. Buddy got a nice fingermark mid 40s.

An early rise this morning seen shiny water with a little bit of bait around. We fished hard on the spot we got the jack yesterday, We got smoked as we got there. Few bream, the obligatory 8 inch cod before I get a good bite which turns in to nice Barra of 80cm. He give an epic battle on my light gear. With a big salmon and a jack, a fingermark and a few mid 60s flathead, this barra won his/her freedom to do its thing this summer, We got towelled up another time, and rubbed off by another good fish which was suspisiously Barra like. We pulled the pin as the southerly was going next level. With a feed and a couple of yarns to tell of a few great bust offs, headed home to wash the boat.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    As with real estate, Fishing is all about Location Location Location

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Sox bout the extra pics

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Great read Gippsy, very nice lot of fish & yea i will never throw a Thready back after eating my last one.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Each mate they taste pretty good mate. They are one of my favourite.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Fattest jack I've ever seen. Good one Gippsy...
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Jease Gippsy I am gonna have to pay you to teach me how to use placcies properly hey. Your a heck of a consistent performer mate well done.
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Some nice fish there

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Great work mate, couple of good fish in there!
    Fishing Fishing Fishing. I like Fishing

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Good read Gippsy sound like fun was had for sure was. The fish hooked by a sharp point jighead
    Fishing bring it on no matter the type .

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

nice one gippsy nice lot off fish mate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast