Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Winter solo sessions

Beaver Sunset.jpg

With the electric ticking over in the gin (not the drinking type Dids ) clear water, i i snuck the poly into where Pete allegedly got a bend in his rod (so i heard) , up a drain, with the glassed out conditions making it hard to see through the mirror sheen. As the motor started running out of water, i spotted a school of grunter, around 100 fish, but they were super spooky, taking off when the little lure landed. I was tossing my 4lb outfit, with 12 lb leader, hoping it would be enough. On the trip back out of the drain, i spotted some of the target species, the blue salmon, but they were even more flighty.

Eventually i managed a bite, from a grunter, going back to a really small plastic, the Crusteaz, on a little light jighead. It screamed around, in around a foot of water, but was soon dispatched on ice. The salmon had fled, with the grunter being hooked, so i went to sus out some other drains, finding fish, but not managing a hookup.

After the tide had turned to run out, i figured id best grab some dinner, checking a few drains for flatties, i found a few at an old haunt. Picking up a dozen or so, i iced a couple, and decided to go look for these pesky salmon on the dropping tide. Sneaking up another drain, i found a few straight away, but again they were flighty, taking a few swipes at a shrimpz, but no hookup. They really didnt seem hungry, just swatting at the lure, so i changed tack, going for a light 1/8th 3/0 TT Headlockz, with a 3" zman minnowz in Space guppy.

Whether it was the change in tide, or lure i don't know, but i lobbed it onto the first school i saw, and immediately it was engulfed by the runt of the pack. The first run of the blue salmon is blistering, in my opinion, its by far the hardest fighting estuary fish. Its scything run arced across the flat, i tried to chase, as the bottom of the spool was getting near, but i was out of water, and with the tide dropping this was not the place to do a Dids in the mud bank.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place, i palmed the spool, figuring i may as well be rubbed off as be spooled. Thankfully as it turned out, the fish was hooked on the outside of the mouth, otherwise im sure the leader would have rubbed through. Its by for the shallowest salmon fight i have had, with the fishes back out the water half the time. Its nuts the purchase they get when they cant swim to any depth. Slowly i gained ground, and eventually swam a nice salmon into the net(probably easier alone Pete), happy days...time for home, icing the fish down to clean the next day and have a beer by the fire. I mightn't be rich possession wise, but most of the time i feel pretty lucky with the life i lead.

Blue salmon good.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

Grunter.jpg

P1050550 (1).jpg

Links to a couple of clips from the day.

Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Second clip
    Chewy....

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice job Chewy, your a fortunate man indeed

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work and by the look at that Sunrise, excellent day.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff chewy. Nice morning out. Good to see some flat ones about. Those salmon do go hard.
    As with real estate, Fishing is all about Location Location Location

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gippsy View Post
    Good stuff chewy. Nice morning out. Good to see some flat ones about. Those salmon do go hard.
    Yea Gippsy. I want one over a metre.
    Chewy....

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ActiveAngler View Post
    Yea Gippsy. I want one over a metre.
    Blue Salmon over a Metre ..... Woooooooooh.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfish View Post
    Blue Salmon over a Metre ..... Woooooooooh.
    Iv got a few over 95 BF, just none close to a metre. Well they might have been if I turned them on some oblique angle and pulled, but that's not me. I'd know it wasn't a metre. I don't normally even measure fish unless I'm eating it. But it's one I want badly.
    Chewy....

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Gee 95 is still a cracker of a Blue salmon Chewy and yeah I see pics (Dead Fish) with the throat cut and the tail twisted at a funny angle with the person bragging how big the fish is.
    Good call mate.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Not too shabby at all mate, certainly was some pretty good weather last week
    Fishing Fishing Fishing. I like Fishing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast