Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: learning SP'S

Grand Slam
    Post Thanks / Like

Default learning SP'S

I'm trying to expand my horizons as I have been doing g a fair bit of flattie flicking with Funchy but had yet to catch a snapper with a SP mainly as my crew all prefer bait fishing. I found a local who just loves to pop out the Caloundra bar and chase snaps and who was willing to take me out so yesterday we headed out at first light. Fishing was a bit slow but I managed a nice grass sweetie about 40 cm and around 8.30 things picked up and I finally got my first snapper, not big by any means but still fun. My mate got busted off after a couple of heavy runs, he thought maybe a Longtail but I suspect it might have been a cobia because of the way it would just stop a couple of times and do nothing. Then I got what I thought was a good snapper only to pull in a 4 ft black tip reef shark, still fun. We'd been keeping an eye on a whale that had been tail slapping for a while as it slowly worked it's way to our drift, we forgot about it until I turned around and found this submarine heading straight for us and only 100 meters away, by the time we got the parachute in the lines it was less than 20 meters away and didn't even look like it was going to dive or change course until we started the motor, then it dived and we didn't see it come up again.
    We ended up with 7 snapper and the sweetie, my mate said it was a strange fishing session as all the fish were caught on the bottom, even the bait in the area hugged the bottom. My best SP was a Zman in bruised banana while he had success with Gulp in pearl white and also curried chicken.
    Next week if the weather is fine we'll be heading out again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

That's some good going mate. Great fishing
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Grand Slam
    Post Thanks / Like

Mate went out today with his son and they were on the chew straight away, got 13 in the first hour, they only kept 4. There was a boat soaking baits nearby that apparently left in disgust watching them release fish.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

i've been plastics fishing for years and it always amazes me the names of some of them ...... oh and yeah good fishing there

cheers LB
    Experience is what you get when shit happens

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice one Sammy. We need to get out and chase some red ones soon!!

Grand Slam
    Post Thanks / Like

All the good weather is during the week, and your a weekend warrior but we'll get there.