Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Ting

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys, jode finds it hard to get a run in the boat these days. She does get a bit excited with the first few fish landed. The bream was just on 40cm.
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a bad effort there mate, can't beat whiting for tea
    Fishing Fishing Fishing. I like Fishing

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

I see you keep the dog leashed in the boat. Does he try to jump overboard? I had the same problem. Both my last 2 dogs wanted to go swimming, so I have to keep em leashed now.
    My old lab jumped off the bow at river heads, right where Id caught a 2.5m bull shark.
    Current took him under for about 30 secs, and it felt like a lot longer.

No swimming for dogs anymore unless they have a 10/0 hook in their collar.
    Just kidding, no swimming at all for them.
    According to my chemistry teacher, alcohol IS a solution!

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    I see you keep the dog leashed in the boat. Does he try to jump overboard? I had the same problem. Both my last 2 dogs wanted to go swimming, so I have to keep em leashed now.
    My old lab jumped off the bow at river heads, right where Id caught a 2.5m bull shark.
    Current took him under for about 30 secs, and it felt like a lot longer.

No swimming for dogs anymore unless they have a 10/0 hook in their collar.
    Just kidding, no swimming at all for them.
    yea mate. I'm unsure if she would actually jump over, but I am completely sure there is no way I could get her back in the boat if she did. I'm currently working on a ramp/slide for the back in case she ever does.
    Chewy....

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

They will jump over eventually, just out of curiosity. Let her try it in a safe place, near land, with no current, and she will figure out that she cant get back in the boat.

I use an fairly large landing net, that can take a fish over 1 metre, so the lab pup fitted in ok. Otherwise I would have had difficulty getting him back in.
    The lab was about 12 mths old when he jumped in, so he wasnt as big as your dog.

Now I have a Maltese Shitzu, and he is very inquisitive, and he just jumped off the bow while drifting at Jumpinpin. Again, the current took him away quickly and I had to start the engine and chase him.
    He doesnt like being leashed, so I dont take him on the boat anymore.

For a dog that size, you are gonna have a bit of trouble getting her back in the boat. Maybe have a look at those harness types they use to keep a dog in the back seat of a car? At least you will have a centre of gravity to pull on the ring at the top. you could safely put a gaf (file it down and make it blunt) into the harness without hurting the dog, and that would be easier than a ramp that takes up a lot of space.
    https://www.petbarn.com.au/dogs/dog-...-harness-black

Dogs that are leashed get bored easily. No reason not to take her out tho, many guys do it, its just a training issue. Give her a shore break every 60-90 mins and that keeps em happy.
    good luck with it.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea. I generally won't take her unless she can get out for a run. She's great on the boat, always looking around at something. We have a harness that we use in the car, and it will hold her weight, it's me that's the problem. I can't lift 50kg off the ground, to get her in the boat in the first place, last time I tried I hurt myself. Let alone with nothing to brace my feet against. I think the ramp at the back will work, but it's a work in progress
    Chewy....

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12