Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nice day at Jumpinpin...

A good forecast and a light workload saw me ditch the office on Wednesday for a day of exploring the Pin with Kyle. We hadn't been there for a few years and we were interested to see whether or not any early season big lizards had shown up yet. An uneventful drive saw us hit the Cabbage Tree Point boat ramp around 6.00am and we launched next to Nigel Webster and the AFN crew who were filming a Jumpinpin special for their TV show.

We gently motored towards the Pin, stopping occasionally to throw lures at likely looking snags, banks or surface disturbances. We weren't expecting much in the way of fish as we were very unfamiliar with the area. Nevertheless we picked up the odd bream, tailor and small flathead amongst the many schools of hardyheads that were everywhere...

Just before lunch on the falling tide we decided to put ashore at South Stradbroke Island so Kyle could take a few pics of the beach and surrounding area. I am not into photography, so I picked up my bream outfit and started casting the sandy edge of a steep drop-off with a small hardbody minnow. After about 10 casts I was about to lift the lure out of the water when a big lizard charged out of the deep and engulfed the lure right at my feet. It was an awesome visual spectacle!

Problem was that I was using 6lb braid and 15lb leader, the boat was 100m away and I had no net, lip grips or other equipment. I yelled out to Kyle but he was too far away to hear me. A couple of boats (including the AFN crew) pulled up to watch the tussle. I was very much out-gunned. Drag was screaming and the 1-3kg rod had a serious bend in it! Luckily i was using a very loose drag and the beast eventually tired herself out and allowed me to beach her and pick her up. Kyle finally got the message and grabbed the bragmat where she went 66cm. A quick pic and she went back into the deep.

Funny how one good fish can make a nice morning an excellent one!

Cheers

Pete & Kyle
    Attached Images Attached Images
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice capture mate. Sounds like it was visually spectacular aswell. Well done
    As with real estate, Fishing is all about Location Location Location

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

great stuff Pete and Kyle Love seeing the flattys take a lure close up. I have some gopro footage of one hitting the lure from underneath and leaping out of the water tail dancing on top of the water.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good read Pete and Kyle always good tondo something different

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish, I know that area well. Lotsa fun on light gear.
    According to my chemistry teacher, alcohol IS a solution!

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Had that happen, great visual, nice one mate
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good work Pete. As you say, just makes a great day just that little bit better.
    Cheers
    Gazza

IF MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, THEN POLITICIANS MUST BE FROM URANUS

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Love it...you two always turn something up. Great read Pete.

Paulo
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice to be out of the office and to catch such a nice flatty well done.